The Effect of IL-22 and IL-28 in Induction of Type 1 Regulatory T (Tr1) Cells
Cytokines have been introduced as critical inducers in the development of Th subpopulations.Cytokines like IL-10 are involved in inducing regulatory T cells such as Type 1 regulatory T (Tr1) cells cells. IL-22 is a member of IL-10 family of cytokines, and IL-28A is a member of IFN-γ family. In this study, cord blood mononuclear cells (CBMC) from normal healthy individuals were isolated by Ficoll and then naïve T cells were purified by CD4+CD25+ Regulatory T cell Isolation kit. The effect of these two cytokines on production of IL-5, TGF-β, IL-10, IL-4 and IFN-γ cytokines from cord blood T cells was investigated to identify Tr1 cells as well as Th1 and Th2 polarization. Flow cytometric analysis showed that IL-28A and IL-22 were not effective in expression of IL-5 and TGF-β either alone or in synergy, but in view of IL-10, IL-4 and IFN-γ, the results showed that IL-22 increased IL-10 and IL-4 but had a decreasing effect on IFN-γ. The results showed that IL-28A was not effective in increasing or decreasing the level of IL-10, IL-4 and IFN-γ. Therefore, according to these results, IL-22 and IL-28A were not effective in inducing Tr1 cells.
1. Battaglia M, Gregori S, Bacchetta R, Roncarolo MG. Tr1 cells: from discovery to their clinical application. Semin Immunol 2006; 18(2):120-7.
2. Kwon BS, Wang S, Udagawa N, Haridas V, Lee ZH, Kim KK, et al. TR1, a new member of the tumor necrosis factor receptor superfamily, induces fibroblast proliferation and inhibits osteoclastogenesis and bone resorption. FASEB J 1998; 12(10):845-54.
3. Ye F, Yan S, Xu L, Jiang Z, Liu N, Xiong S, et al. Tr1 regulatory T cells induced by ConA pretreatment prevent mice from ConA-induced hepatitis. Immunol Lett 2009;122(2):198-207.
4. D'Elios M, Del Prete G. Th1/Th2 balance in human disease. Transplant Proc 1998; 30(5):2373-7 .
5. Nagem RA, Colau D, Dumoutier L, Renauld JC, Ogata C,Polikarpov I. Crystal structure of recombinant human Interleukin-22. Structure 2002; 10(8):1051-62.
6. Bleicher L, de Moura PR, Watanabe L, Colau D, Dumoutier L, Renauld JC, et al. Crystal structure of the IL-22/IL-22R1 complex and its implications for the IL-22 signaling mechanism. FEBS Lett 2008; 582(20):2985-92.
7. Aggarwal S, Xie MH, Maruoka M, Foster J, Gurney AL.Acinar cells of the pancreas are a target of interleukin-22. J Interferon Cytokine Res 2001; 21(12):1047-53.
8. Gurney AL. IL-22, a Th1 cytokine that targets the pancreas and select other peripheral tissues. Int Immunopharmacol 2004; 4(5):669-77.
9. Xie MH, Aggarwal S, Ho WH, Foster J, Zhang Z, Stinson J, et al. Interleukin (IL)-22, a novel human cytokine that signals through the interferon receptor-related proteins CRF2-4 and IL-22R. J Biol Chem 2000; 275(40):31335-9.
10. Ank N, West H, Bartholdy C, Eriksson K, Thomsen AR, Paludan SR. Lambda interferon (IFN-lambda), a type III IFN, is induced by viruses and IFNs and displays potent antiviral activity against select virus infections in vivo. J Virol 2006; 80(9):4501-9.
11. Meager A, Visvalingam K, Dilger P, Bryan D, Wadhwa M. Biological activity of interleukins-28 and -29: comparison with type I interferons. Cytokine 2005;31(2):109-18.
12. Commins S, Steinke JW, Borish L. The extended IL-10 superfamily: IL-10, IL-19, IL-20, IL-22, IL-24, IL-26, IL-28, and IL-29. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2008;121(5):1108-11.
13. Sheppard P, Kindsvogel W, Xu W, Henderson K, Schlutsmeyer S, Whitmore TE, et al. IL-28, IL-29 and their class II cytokine receptor IL-28R. Nat Immunol 2003; 4(1):63-8.
14. Kretschmer K, Apostolou I, Hawiger D, Khazaie K, Nussenzweig MC, von Boehmer H. Inducing and expanding regulatory T cell populations by foreign antigen. Nat Immunol 2005; 6(12):1219-27.
15. Lu L, Li G, Rao J, Pu L, Yu Y, Wang X, et al. In vitro induced CD4(+)CD25(+)Foxp3(+) Tregs attenuate hepatic ischemia-reperfusion injury. Int Immunopharmacol 2009; 9(5):549-52.
16. Verhasselt V, Vosters O, Beuneu C, et al. Induction of FOXP3-expressing regulatory CD4pos T cells by human mature autologous dendritic cells. Eur J Immunol 2004;34(3):762-72.
17. Wolk K, Kunz S, Witte E, Friedrich M, Asadullah K, Sabat R. IL-22 increases the innate immunity of tissues. Immunity 2004; 21(2):241-54.
18. Steinke JW, Borish L. Cytokines and chemokines. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2006; 117:441-5.
19. Kotenko SV, Gallagher G, Baurin VV, Lewis-Antes A,
Shen M, Shah NK, et al. IFN-lambda s mediate antiviral protection through a distinct class II cytokine receptor complex. Nat Immunol 2003; 4(1):69-77.
20. McRae BL, Semnani RT, Hayes MP, van Seventer GA.Type I IFNs inhibit human dendritic cell IL-12 production and Th1 cell development. J Immunol 1998;160(9):4298-304.
21. Roncarolo MG, Levings MK. The role of different subsets of T regulatory cells in controlling autoimmunity. Curr Opin Immunol 2000; 12(6):676-83.
22. Martin-Saavedra FM ,Gonzalez-Garcia C, Bravo B, Ballester S. Beta interferon restricts the inflammatory potential of CD4+ cells through the boost of the Th2 phenotype, the inhibition of Th17 response and the prevalence of naturally occurring T regulatory cells. Mol Immunol 2008; 45(15):4008-19.
23. Levings MK, Roncarolo MG. T-regulatory 1 cells: a novel subset of CD4 T cells with immunoregulatory properties. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2000; 106(1 Pt2):S109-112.
24. Levings MK, Sangregorio R, Galbiati F, Squadrone S, de Waal Malefyt R, Roncarolo MG. IFN-alpha and IL-10 induce the differentiation of human type 1 T regulatory cells. J Immunol 2001; 166(9):5530-9.
25. Groux H, O'Garra A, Bigler M, Rouleau M, Antonenko S, de Vries JE, et al. A CD4+ T-cell subset inhibits antigen- specific T-cell responses and prevents colitis. Nature 1997; 389(6652):737-42.
26. Pot C ,Apetoh L, Awasthi A, Kuchroo VK. Induction of regulatory Tr1 cells and inhibition of T(H)17 cells by IL-27. Semin Immunol 2011; 23(6):438-45.
27. Wang H, Meng R, Li Z, Yang B, Liu Y, Huang F, et al.IL-27 induces the differentiation of Tr1-like cells from human naive CD4+ T cells via the phosphorylation of STAT1 and STAT3. Immunol Lett 2011; 136(1):21-8.
28. Kemper C, Chan AC, Green JM, Brett KA, Murphy KM, Atkinson JP. Activation of human CD4+ cells with CD3 and CD46 induces a T-regulatory cell 1 phenotype. Nature 2003; 421(6921):388-92 .
29. Oral HB, Kotenko SV ,Yilmaz M, Mani O, Zumkehr J, Blaser K, et al. Regulation of T cells and cytokines by the interleukin-10 (IL-10)-family cytokines IL-19, IL-20, IL-22, IL-24 and IL-26. Eur J Immunol 2006; 36(2):380-8.
30. Pillai V, Ortega SB, Wang CK, Karandikar NJ. Transient regulatory T-cells: A state attained by all activated human T-cells. Clin Immunol 2007; 123(1):18-29.
31. Liu W, Putnam AL, Xu-Yu Z, Szot GL, Lee MR, Zhu S, et al. CD127 expression inversely correlates with FoxP3 and suppressive function of human CD4+ T reg cells. J Exp Med 2006; 203(7):1701-11 .
32. Fontenot JD, Gavin MA, Rudensky AY. Foxp3 programs the development and function of CD4+CD25+ regulatory T cells. Nat Immunol 2003; 4:330-6.
33. Shevach EM. Regulatory/suppressor T cells in health and disease. Arthritis Rheum 2004; 50(9):2721-4 .
34. Carrier Y, Yuan J, Kuchroo VK, Weiner HL. Th3 cells in peripheral tolerance. II. TGF-beta-transgenic Th3 cells rescue IL-2-deficient mice from autoimmunity. J Immunol 2007; 178(1):172-8.
35. Satoguina JS, Adjobimey T, Arndts K, Hoch J, Oldenburg J, Layland LE, et al. Tr1 and naturally occurring regulatory T cells induce IgG4 in B cells through GITR/GITR-L interaction, IL-10 and TGF-beta. Eur J Immunol 2008; 38(11):3101-13.
36. Roncarolo MG, Bacchetta R, Bordignon C, Narula S, Levings MK. Type 1 T regulatory cells. Immunol Rev 2001; 182:68-79.
37. Arasteh J, Pourpak Z, Ebtekar M, et al. Evaluation of the effect of IL-22 on human cord blood CD4+ T cells. Iran J Allergy Asthma Immunol 2010; 9(2):59-67.
38. Arasteh J, Ebtekar M, Pourpak Z, Pourfatollah AA, Hassan ZM, Farahmandian T. The effect of IL-28A on human cord blood CD4+ T cells. Immunopharmacol Immunotoxicol 2010; 32(2):339-47.
|Issue||Vol 14, No 2 (2015)|
|Cord blood IL-22 IL-28A Polarization Tr1 cells|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|