Clinical and Laboratory Investigation of Oral Allergy Syndrome to Grape
Oral allergy syndrome (OAS) is occasionally observed following consumption of raw fruits in allergic adults. Since this phenomenon was commonly reported in Khorasan province of Iran; we intended to check if common diagnostic tests could be applied for differential diagnosis of OAS to grapes.
IgE reactivity of 84 patients with OAS to grape and 34 patients with OAS to other fruits were analyzed by in vivo and in vitro methods, and the results were compared with those of controls. The patients underwent skin prick test (SPT) with common allergic pollen extracts as well as grape extract. The specific IgE level to grape proteins was determined by an indirect ELISA. The correlation of SPT results with ELISA and western blotting patterns was checked by statistical methods.
The results showed a significant correlation of grape SPT diameters with grape specific IgE levels. Furthermore, a significant association of grape SPT results with IgE immunoreactivity of a 10 kDa grape protein, probably lipid transfer protein (LTP) was prominent. Immunoreactivity of other proteins was linked with mild clinical symptoms.
The study showed a significant correlation of grape SPT results with grape total extract, as well as its 10 kDa component’s IgE reactivity. The results suggested that OAS to grape should not be considered as a main criterion in diagnosis of grape allergy and a combination of grape SPT results with evaluation of IgE reactivity to grape 10 kDa allergen should be considered to achieve a more reliable grape allergy diagnosis.
1. Burks W, Ballmer-Weber BK. Food allergy. Mol Nutr Food Res 2006; 50(7):595-603.
2. Sampson HA. Update on food allergy. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2004; 113(5):805-19.
3. Sicherer SH. Food allergy. Lancet 2002; 360(9334):701-10.
4. Sicherer SH, Sampson HA. Food allergy. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2010; 125(2 Suppl 2):116-125.
5. Fernandez-Rivas M, Benito C, Gonzalez-Mancebo E, de Durana DA. Allergies to fruits and vegetables. Pediatr Allergy Immunol 2008; 19(8):675-81.
6. Fernandez RM. [Cross-reactivity between fruit and vegetables]. Allergol Immunopathol (Madr) 2003;31(3):141-6.
7. Kondo Y, Urisu A. Oral allergy syndrome. AllergolInt 2009; 58(4):485-91.
8. Ortolani C, Ispano M, Pastorello E, Bigi A, Ansaloni R.The oral allergy syndrome. Ann Allergy 1988; 61(6 Pt2):47-52.
9. Garcia Ortiz JC, Ventas P, Cosmes P, Lopez-Asunsolo A.An immunoblotting analysis of cross-reactivity between melon, and plantago and grass pollens. J Investig Allergol ClinImmunol 1996; 6(6):378-82.
10. Rodriguez J, Crespo JF. Clinical features of cross- reactivity of food allergy caused by fruits. CurrOpin Allergy Clin Immunol 2002; 2(3):233-8.
11. Egger M, Mutschlechner S, Wopfner N, Gadermaier G,Briza P, Ferreira F. Pollen-food syndromes associated with weed pollinosis: an update from the molecular point of view. Allergy 2006; 61(4):461-76.
12. Kalogeromitros DC, Makris MP, Gregoriou SG,Mousatou VG, Lyris NG, Tarassi KE, et al. Grape anaphylaxis: a study of 11 adult onset cases. Allergy Asthma Proc 2005; 26(1):53-8.
13. Lopez-Torrejon G, Crespo JF, Sanchez-Monge R, Sanchez-Jimenez M, Alvarez J, Rodriguez J, et al. Allergenic reactivity of the melon profilinCuc m 2 and its identification as major allergen. Clin Exp Allergy 2005;35(8):1065-72.
14. Mur P, Feo BF, Bartolome B, Galindo PA, Gomez E, Borja J, et al. Simultaneous allergy to vine pollen and grape. J Investig Allergol Clin Immunol 2006; 16(4):271-3.
15. Rodriguez-Perez R, Crespo JF, Rodriguez J, Salcedo G.Profilin is a relevant melon allergen susceptible to pepsin digestion in patients with oral allergy syndrome. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2003; 111(3):634-9.
16. Andersen MB, Hall S, Dragsted LO. Identification of European Allergy Patterns to the Allergen Families PR-10, LTP, and Profilin from Rosaceae Fruits. Clin Rev Allergy Immunol 2011; 41(1):1-16.
17. Gamboa PM, Caceres O, Antepara I, Sanchez-Monge R, Ahrazem O, Salcedo G, et al. Two different profiles of peach allergy in the north of Spain. Allergy 2007;62(4):408-14.
18. Fernandez-Rivas M, Gonzalez-Mancebo E, Rodriguez- Perez R, Benito C, Sanchez-Monge R, Salcedo G, et al. Clinically relevant peach allergy is related to peach lipid transfer protein, Pru p 3, in the Spanish population. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2003; 112(4):789-95.
19. Asero R, Mistrello G, Amato S. The nature of melon allergy in ragweed-allergic subjects: A study of 1000 patients. Allergy Asthma Proc 2011; 32(1):64-7.
20. Sankian M, Varasteh A, Pazouki N, Mahmoudi M.Sequence homology: a poor predictive value for profilins cross-reactivity. ClinMol Allergy 2005; 3:13.
21. Pastorello EA, Farioli L, Pravettoni V, Ortolani C,Fortunato D, Giuffrida MG, et al. Identification of grape and wine allergens as an endochitinase 4, a lipid-transfer protein, and a thaumatin. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2003;111(2):350-9.
22. Schad SG, Trcka J, Vieths S, Scheurer S, Conti A, Brocker EB, et al. Wine anaphylaxis in a German patient: IgE-mediated allergy against a lipid transfer protein of grapes. Int Arch Allergy Immunol 2005; 136(2):159-64.
23. Vassilopoulou E, Zuidmeer L, Akkerdaas J, Tassios I, Rigby NR, Mills EN, et al. Severe immediate allergic reactions to grapes: part of a lipid transfer protein- associated clinical syndrome. Int Arch Allergy Immunol 2007; 143(2):92-102.
24. Kalogeromitros D, Rigopoulos D, Gregoriou S, Mousatou V, Lyris N, Papaioannou D, et al. Asymptomatic sensitisation to grapes in a sample of workers in the wine industry. Occup Environ Med 2004; 61(8):709-11.
25. Soukhtanloo M, Falak R, Sankian M, Varasteh AR.Generation and Characterization of Anti-chitinase Monoclonal Antibodies. Hybridoma 2011; 30(2):145-51.
26. Noorbakhsh R, Mortazavi SA, Sankian M, Shahidi F, Maleki SJ, Nasiraii LR, et al. Influence of processing on the allergenic properties of pistachio nut assessed in vitro. J Agric Food Chem 2010; 58(18):10231-5.
27. Inomata N, Morita A, Kirino M, Yamazaki H, Yamaguchi J, Yamane Y, et al. Oral allergy syndromedue to plant-derived foods: a clinical review of 63 patients over a period of 6 years. Arerugi 2007;56(10):1276-84.
28. Kiss J, Korbasz M, Sass-Kiss A. Study of amine composition of botrytized grape berries. J Agric Food Chem 2006; 54(23):8909-18.
29. Fereidouni M, Hossini RF, Azad FJ, Assarehzadegan MA, Varasteh A. Skin prick test reactivity to common aeroallergens among allergic rhinitis patients in Iran. Allergol Immunopathol (Madr ) 2009; 37(2):73-9.
30. Enrique E, Cistero-Bahima A, Bartolome B, Alonso R,San Miguel-Moncin MM, Bartra J, et al. Platanusacerifoliapollinosis and food allergy. Allergy 2002; 57(4):351-6.
31. Ballmer-Weber BK, Vieths S, Luttkopf D, Heuschmann P, Wuthrich B. Celery allergy confirmed by double-blind, placebo-controlled food challenge: a clinical study in 32 subjects with a history of adverse reactions to celery root. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2000; 106(2):373-8.
32. Osterballe M, Scheller R, Stahl SP, Andersen KE, Bindslev-Jensen C. Diagnostic value of scratch-chamber test, skin prick test, histamine release and specific IgE in birch-allergic patients with oral allergy syndrome to apple. Allergy 2003; 58(9):950-3.
33. Reuter A, Lidholm J, Andersson K, Ostling J, Lundberg M, Scheurer S, et al. A critical assessment of allergen component-based in vitro diagnosis in cherry allergy across Europe. Clin Exp Allergy 2006; 36(6):815-23.
34. Varasteh AR, Moghadam M, Vahedi F, Kermani T, Sankian M. Cloning and expression of the allergen Cro s2 profilin from saffron (Crocus sativus). AllergolInt 2009;58(3):429-35.
35. Asensio T, Crespo JF, Sanchez-Monge R, Lopez- Torrejon G, Somoza ML, Rodriguez J, Salcedo G. Novel plant pathogenesis-related protein family involved in food allergy. J Allergy ClinImmunol 2004; 114(4):896-9.
36. Hoffmann-Sommergruber K. Pathogenesis-related (PR)- proteins identified as allergens. BiochemSoc Trans 2002;30(Pt 6):930-5.
37. Vassilopoulou E, Rigby N, Moreno FJ, Zuidmeer L, Akkerdaas J, Tassios I, et al. Effect of in vitro gastric and duodenal digestion on the allergenicity of grape lipid transfer protein. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2006;118(2):473-80.
|Issue||Vol 11, No 2 (2012)|
|Food hypersensitivity Grape (Vitis vinifera) Lipid transfer protein Oral allergy syndrome Skin prick test Specific IgE Western blotting|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|