Prevalence and Risk Factors of Asthma and Allergic Diseases in Primary Schoolchildren Living in Bushehr, Iran: Phase I, III ISAAC Protocol
Asthma and allergic diseases present a major health burden. Information on the prevalence of these diseases indicates that these diseases are increasing in various parts of the world. It was hoped that this study would be helpful to health system policy-makers in planning allergy prevention programs in the region.The prevalence of asthma and allergic diseases and relation between the various risk factors involved were assessed among schoolchildren in the city of Bushehr, Iran. The ISAAC Phase I and III questionnaires were completed by parents of 1280 children aged 6-7 years and self-completed by 1115 students aged 13-14 years.The prevalence of atopic eczema, allergic rhinitis and asthma among 6-7 year-old students were 12.1%, 11.8% and 6.7%, respectively. While, the prevalence of these diseases among 13-14 year-old students were found to be 19%, 30% and 7.6%, respectively. There was an association between asthma and allergic rhinitis as well as eczema (p<0.05). Consumption of fast food as a risk factor was significantly associated with asthma (p=0.03).The prevalence of asthma and allergic diseases was high among schoolchildren in the city of Bushehr, Iran. Also an association was observed between the fast food consumption and asthma.
1. Banac S, Rozmanic V, Manestar K, Korotaj-Rožmanić Z, Lah-Tomulić K, Vidović I, et al. Rising trends in the prevalence of asthma and allergic diseases among school children in the north-west coastal part of Croatia. J Asthma 2013; 50(8):810-4.
2. Kim SY, Jung JY, Park MS, Kang YA, Kim EY, Kim SK, et al. Increased prevalence of self-reported asthma among Korean adults: an analysis of KNHANES I and IV data. Lung 2013; 191(3):281-8.
3. Von Mutius E. The rising trends in asthma and allergic disease. Clin Exp Allergy 1998; (28 Suppl 5):45-9.
4. Asher MI, Keil U, Anderson HR, Beasley R, Crane J, Martinez F, et al. International Study of Asthma and Allergies in Childhood (ISAAC): rationale and methods. Eur Respir J 1995; 8(3):483-91.
5. Kimber I. Allergy, asthma and the environment: an introduction. Toxicol Lett 1998; 102-3:301-6.
6. Worldwide variations in the prevalence of asthma symptoms: the International Study of Asthma and Allergies in Childhood (ISAAC). Eur Respir J 1998;12(2):315-35.
7. Entezari A, Mehrabi Y, Varesvazirian M, Pourpak Z, Moin M. A systematic review of recent asthma symptom surveys in Iranian children. Chron Respir Dis 2009;6(2):109-14.
8. Mohammadzadeh I B-SR, Alizadeh- Navaei R. The prevalence of allergic rhinitis in Iranian children: A systematic review and descriptive meta-analysis. J Pediatr Rev, 2013:19-24.
9. Shakurnia AH, Assar S, Afra M, Latifi M. Prevalence of asthma among schoolchildren in Ahvaz, Islamic Republic of Iran. East Mediterr Health J 2010; 16(6):651-6.
10. Golshan M, Mohamad-Zadeh Z, Zahedi-Nejad N, Rostam-Poor B. Prevalence of asthma and related symptoms in primary school children of Isfahan, Iran, in 1998. Asian Pac J Allergy Immunol 2001; 19(3):163-70.
11. Hassanzadeh J, Mohammadbeigi A, Mousavizadeh A, Akbari M. Asthma prevalence in Iranian guidance school children, a descriptive meta-analysis. J Res Med Sci 2012; 17(3):293-7.
12. Williams H, Robertson C, Stewart A, Aït-Khaled N, Anabwani G, Anderson R, et al. Worldwide variations in the prevalence of symptoms of atopic eczema in the International Study of Asthma and Allergies in Childhood. J Allergy Clin Immunol 1999; 103(1 Pt 1):125-38.
13. Anderson HR, Ruggles R, Strachan DP, Austin JB, Burr M, Jeffs D, et al. Trends in prevalence of symptoms of asthma, hay fever, and eczema in 12-14 year olds in the British Isles, 1995-2002: questionnaire survey. Bmj 2004;328(7447):1052-3.
14. Rad MH, Hamzezadeh A. Allergic disease in 6–7-year- old schoolchildren in Urmia, Islamic Republic of Iran. East Mediterr Health J 2008; 14(5):1044-53.
15. Mirsaid Ghazi B, Imamzadehgan R, Aghamohammadi A, Darakhshan Davari R, Rezaei N. Frequency of Allergic Rhinitis in School-age Children (7-18 Years) in Tehran. Iran J Allergy Asthma Immunol 2003; 2(4):181-4.
16. Behbehani NA, Abal A, Syabbalo NC, Abd Azeem A, Shareef E, Al-Momen J. Prevalence of asthma, allergic rhinitis, and eczema in 13- to 14-year-old children in Kuwait: an ISAAC study. International Study of Asthma and Allergies in Childhood. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 2000; 85(1):58-63.
17. Masjedi MR, Fadaizadeh L, Najafizadeh K, Dokouhaki P.Prevalence and Severity of Asthma Symptoms in Children of Tehran- International Study of Asthma and Allergies in Childhood (ISAAC). Iran J Allergy Asthma Immunol 2004; 3(1):25-30.
18. Berger WE. Allergic rhinitis in children : diagnosis and management strategies. Paediatr Drugs 2004; 6(4):233-50.
19. Masoli M, Fabian D, Holt S, Beasley R, Global Initiative for Asthma (GINA) Program. The global burden of asthma: executive summary of the GINA Dissemination Committee report. Allergy 2004; 59(5):469-78.
20. Rahimi-Rad MH, Gaderi-Pakdel F, Salari-Lak S.Smoking and asthma in 20-44-year-old adults in Urmia, Islamic Republic of Iran. East Mediterr Health J 2008;14(1):6-16.
21. Von Kobyletzki LB, Bornehag CG, Hasselgren M, Larsson M, Lindström CB, Svensson Å. Eczema in early childhood is strongly associated with the development of asthma and rhinitis in a prospective cohort. BMC Dermatol 2012; 12:11.
22. Lee SC, Yang YH, Chuang SY, Liu SC, Yang HC, Pan WH. Risk of asthma associated with energy-dense but nutrient-poor dietary pattern in Taiwanese children. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 2012; 21(1):73-81.
23. de Batlle J, Garcia-Aymerich J, Barraza-Villarreal A, Antó JM, Romieu I. Mediterranean diet is associated with reduced asthma and rhinitis in Mexican children. Allergy 2008; 63(10):1310-6.
24. Kinra S, Davey Smith G, Jeffreys M, Gunnell D, Galobardes B, McCarron P. Association between sibship size and allergic diseases in the Glasgow Alumni Study. Thorax 2006; 61(1):48-53.
25. Suarez-Varela MM, Garcia-Marcos L, Fernandez-Espinar JF, Bercedo-Sanz A, Aguinaga-Ontoso I, González-Díaz C. Is acetaminophen use associated with atopic eczema and other allergic diseases in adolescents? Iran J Allergy Asthma Immunol 2013; 12(2):115-23.
|Issue||Vol 13, No 5 (2014)|
|Allergic rhinitis Asthma Atopic eczema Children ISAAC Prevalence|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|