Dusty Air Pollution is Associated with an Increased Risk of Allergic Diseases in Southwestern Part of Iran
Concerns have been raised about the adverse impact of dusty air pollution (DAP) on human health. The aim of this study was to find the association between dusty air pollution based on air quality index (AQI) and the risk of allergic diseases in southwestern provinces of Iran, with assessing cytokine profiles and lymphocyte immunophenotypes.In this case control study 148 individuals participated. The sampling was done in hazardous condition (AQI>300) as the case and clean air (AQI<50) as the control. We measured cytokine production by using ELISA method and phenotypes of T-lymphocytes (CD4+ and CD8+), CD19+ B-lymphocytes, CD25+, CD4+ CD25+ cells by FACSort flow cytometer.The mean serum level of IL-4 (33.4 ± 2.9 vs 0.85 ± 0.65 pg/dl) and IL-13 (15.1 ± 4.4 vs. 0.12 ± 0.7 pg/dl) in the subjects exposed to ambient DAP was increased significantly compared to the individuals in the clean air condition. Also, CD19+ B-lymphocytes (12.6 ± 4.9 vs 8.9 ± 3.2%) and CD4+ CD25+ cell count (13.6 ± 4.6 vs 7.7 ± 3.8%) in peripheral blood were increased significantly in subjects exposed to ambient DAP compared with the controls.The result of our study suggested that ambient DAP affected immune system in a way that might lead to allergic diseases in the population.
1. Shahsavani A, Naddafi K, Jaafarzadeh Haghighifard N, Mesdaghinia A, Yunesian M, Nabizadeh R, et al. Characterization of ionic composition of TSP and PM10 during the Middle Eastern Dust (MED) storms in Ahvaz, Iran. Environ Monit Assess 2012, 184(11):6683-92.
2. Hwang SS, Cho SH, Kwon HJ. [Effects of the severe asian dust events on daily mortality during the spring of 2002, in Seoul, Korea]. J Prev Med Public Health 2005,38(2):197-202.
3. Lee JT, Son JY, Cho YS. A comparison of mortality related to urban air particles between periods with Asian dust days and without Asian dust days in Seoul, Korea,2000-2004. Environ Res 2007, 105(3):409-13.
4. Peters A, Pope CA, 3rd. Cardiopulmonary mortality and air pollution. Lancet 2002, 360(9341):1184-5.
5. Samet JM, Dominici F, Curriero FC, Coursac I,Zeger SL. Fine particulate air pollution and mortality in 20 U.S. cities, 1987-1994. N Engl J Med 2000, 343(24):1742-9.
6. Prospero JM. Long-range transport of mineral dust in the global atmosphere: impact of African dust on the environment of the southeastern United States. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 1999, 96(7):3396-403.
7. Hertz-Picciotto I, Herr CE, Yap PS, Dostal M, Shumway RH, Ashwood P, et al. Air pollution and lymphocyte phenotype proportions in cord blood. Environ Health Perspect 2005, 113(10): 1391-8.
8. Leonardi GS, Houthuijs D, Steerenberg PA, Fletcher T, Armstrong B, Antova T, et al. Immune biomarkers in relation to exposure to particulate matter: a cross- sectional survey in 17 cities of Central Europe. Inhal Toxicol 2000, (12 Suppl 4):1-14.
9. Gyan K, Henry W, Lacaille S, Laloo A, Lamsee-Ebanks C, McKay S, et al. African dust clouds are associated with increased paediatric asthma accident and emergency admissions on the Caribbean island of Trinidad. Int J Biometeorol 2005, 49(6):371-6.
10. Zobeiri M. Prevalence, risk factors and severity of asthma symptoms in children of Kermanshah, IRAN: ISAAC phase I, II. Acta Med Iran 2011, 49(3):184-8.
11. Shakurnia AH, Assar S, Afra M, Latifi M. Prevalence of asthma among schoolchildren in Ahvaz, Islamic Republic of Iran. li-sharq al-mutawassit 2010, 16(6):651-6.
12. Mirsaid Ghazi B, Imamzadehgan R, Aghamohammadi A, Darakhshan Davari R, Rezaei N. Frequency of Allergic Rhinitis in School-age Children (7-18 Years) in Tehran. Iran J Allergy Asthma Immunol 2003, 2(4):181-4.
13. Kabesch M, Schedel M, Carr D, Woitsch B, Fritzsch C, Weiland SK, et al. IL-4/IL-13 pathway genetics strongly influence serum IgE levels and childhood asthma. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2006, 117(2):269-74.
14. Pearlman DS. Pathophysiology of the inflammatory response. J Allergy Clin Immunol 1999, 104(4 Pt1):S132-7.
15. He M, Ichinose T, Yoshida S, Takano H, Nishikawa M, Sun G, et al. Induction of immune tolerance and reduction of aggravated lung eosinophilia by co-exposure to Asian sand dust and ovalbumin for 14 weeks in mice. Allergy Asthma Clin Immunol 2013, 9(1):19.
16. Hiyoshi K, Ichinose T, Sadakane K, Takano H, Nishikawa M, Mori I, et al. Asian sand dust enhances ovalbumin-induced eosinophil recruitment in the alveoli and airway of mice. Environ Res 2005,99(3):361-8.
17. Otani S, Onishi K, Mu H, Yokoyama Y, Hosoda T,Dusty Air Pollution and Increased Risk of Allergies Okamoto M, et al. The relationship between skin symptoms and allergic reactions to Asian dust. Int J Environ Res Public Health 2012, 9(12):4606-14.
18. Chang CC, Chen CY, Chiu HF, Dai SX, Liu MY, Yang CY. Elastases from inflammatory and dendritic cells mediate ultrafine carbon black induced acute lung destruction in mice. Inhal Toxicol 2011, 23(10):616-26.
19. Chang CC, Lee IM, Tsai SS, Yang CY. Correlation of Asian dust storm events with daily clinic visits for allergic rhinitis in Taipei, Taiwan. J Toxicol Environ Health A 2006, 69(3-4):229-35.
20. Otani S, Onishi K, Mu H, Kurozawa Y. The effect of Asian dust events on the daily symptoms in Yonago, Japan: a pilot study on healthy subjects. Arch Environ Occup Health 2011, 66(1):43-6.
21. Onishi K, Otani S, Yoshida A, Mu H, Kurozawa Y.Adverse Health Effects of Asian Dust Particles and Heavy Metals in Japan. Asia Pac J Public Health 2012.
22. Pourazar J, Mudway IS, Samet JM, Helleday R, Blomberg A, Wilson SJ, et al. Diesel exhaust activates redox-sensitive transcription factors and kinases in human airways. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 2005,289(5):L724-30.
23. Williams L, Ulrich CM, Larson T, Wener MH, Wood B, Chen-Levy Z, et al. Fine particulate matter (PM(2).(5)) air pollution and immune status among women in the Seattle area. Arch Environ Occup Health 2011,66(3):155-65.
24. Riedl M, Diaz-Sanchez D. Biology of diesel exhaust effects on respiratory function. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2005, 115(2):221-8.
|Issue||Vol 13, No 6 (2014)|
|Allergy Dusty air pollution Immune system|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|