Association between FcεRIβ and IFN-γ Polymorphisms and Asthma in Asian Population: a Meta-Analysis
Polymorphisms in the β subunit of the high affinity receptor for IgE (FcεRIβ) and interferon-γ (IFN-γ) genes may influence the risk of asthma. However, the results in Asian population are still debatable. We performed a meta-analysis to ascertain the association between the FcεRIβ E237G, FcεRIβ -109C/T, and IFN-γ 874T/A polymorphisms and asthma in an Asian population. Databases including PubMed, Chinese National Knowledge Infrastructure (CNKI), Weipu, and Wan Fang (Chinese) databases were searched to find the relevant studies. The effect summary odds ratio (OR) with 95% conﬁdence interval (CI) was calculated. There was no significant difference in dominant model and allele model (EG + GG vs. EE: OR = 1.14, 95%CI = 0.94-1.40; G vs. E: OR = 1.13, 95%CI = 0.95-1.34) for FcεRIβ E237G, and no significant association was observed in the subgroup analysis by age and atopic status. A significantly decreased risk of asthma was observed in allelic model (C vs. T: OR=0.88, 95%CI=0.80-0.98) for FcεRIβ -109C/T, significant association was found in dominant model (AT+TT vs. AA: OR=0.56, 95% CI=0.33-0.97) for IFN-γ 874T/A. This meta-analysis suggested that FcεRIβ E237G is not an influencing factor for asthma in Asian population. FcεRIβ -109C/T and IFN-γ 874T/A polymorphisms may be influencing factors for asthma in the Asian population.
1. Asthma [http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs307/en/index.html]
/>2. Ober C, Yao TC. The genetics of asthma and allergic disease: a 21st century perspective. Immunol Rev 2011;242(1):10-30.
3. Fu JJ, Bainefs KJ, Wood LG, Gibson PG. Systemic inflammation is associated with differential gene expression and airway neutrophilia in asthma. OMICS2013; 17(4):187-99.
4. Chen J, Jiang X, Duan Y, Long J, Bartsch JW, Deng L.ADAM8 in asthma. Friend or foe to airway inflammation? Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 2013;49(6):875-84.
5. Song GG, Lee YH. Pathway analysis of genome-wide association study on asthma. Hum Immunol 2013;74(2):256-60.
6. Burrows B, Martinez FD, Halonen M, Barbee RA, Cline MG. Association of asthma with serum IgE levels and skin-test reactivity to allergens. N Engl J Med 1989;320(5):271-7.
7. Kaminuma O, Kitamura F, Miyatake S, Yamaoka K, Miyoshi H, Inokuma S, et al. T-box 21 transcription factor is responsible for distorted T(H)2 differentiation in human peripheral CD4+ T cells. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2009; 123(4):813-23.
8. Kim Y, Lee S, Kim YS, Lawler S, Gho YS, Kim YK, et al. Regulation of Th1/Th2 cells in asthma development: a mathematical model. Math Biosci Eng 2013; 10(4):1095-133.
9. Potaczek DP, Sanak M, Mastalerz L, Setkowicz M, Kaczor M, Nizankowska E, et al. The alpha-chain of high-affinity receptor for IgE (FcepsilonRIalpha) gene polymorphisms and serum IgE levels. Allergy 2006;61(10):1230-3.
10. Sandford AJ, Shirakawa T, Moffatt MF, Daniels SE, Ra C, Faux JA, et al. Localisation of atopy and beta subunit of high-affinity IgE receptor (Fc epsilon RI) on chromosome 11q. Lancet 1993; 341(8841):332-4.
11. Trabetti E, Cusin V, Malerba G, Martinati LC, Casartelli A, Boner AL, et al. Association of the FcepsilonRIbeta gene with bronchial hyper-responsiveness in an Italian population. J Med Genet 1998; 35(8):680-1.
12. Hizawa N, Maeda Y, Konno S, Fukui Y, Takahashi D, Nishimura M. Genetic polymorphisms at FCER1B and PAI-1 and asthma susceptibility. Clin Exp Allergy 2006;36(7):872-6.
13. Cui T, Wang L, Wu J, Xie J. The association analysis of FcepsilonRIbeta with allergic asthma in a Chinese population. Chin Med J (Engl) 2003; 116(12):1875-8.
14. Zhang X, Zhang W, Qiu D, Sandford A, Tan WC. The E237G polymorphism of the high-affinity IgE receptor beta chain and asthma. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 2004; 93(5):499-503.
15. Kamali-Sarvestani E, Ghayomi MA, Nekoee A.Association of TNF-alpha -308 G/A and IL-4 -589 C/T gene promoter polymorphisms with asthma susceptibility in the south of Iran. J Investig Allergol Clin Immunol 2007; 17(6):361-6.
16. Figueiredo CA, Rodrigues LC, Alcantara-Neves NM, Cooper PJ, Amorim LD, Silva NB, et al. Does IFN- gamma play a role on the pathogenesis of non-atopic asthma in Latin America children? Allergy Asthma Clin Immunol 2012; 8(1):18.
17. Hussein YM, Ahmad AS, Ibrahem MM, El Tarhouny SA, Shalaby SM, Elshal AS, et al: Interferon gamma gene polymorphism as a biochemical marker in Egyptian atopic patients. J Investig Allergol Clin Immunol 2009;19(4):292-8.
18. Palikhe NS, Kim SH, Cho BY, Ye YM, Hur GY, Park HS. Association of three sets of high-affinity IgE receptor (FcepsilonR1) polymorphisms with aspirin-intolerant asthma. Respir Med 2008, 102(8):1132-9.
19. Wang JY, Liou YH, Wu YJ, Hsiao YH, Wu LS. An association study of 13 SNPs from seven candidate genes with pediatric asthma and a preliminary study for genetic testing by multiple variants in Taiwanese population. J Clin Immunol 2009; 29(2):205-9.
20. Tang Y, Zeng Y, Li Y. Study on mutations of beta chain of high-affinity IgE receptor gene in people of Han nationality of southern China. Zhonghua Jie He He Hu Xi Za Zhi 2001; 24(3):142-4.
21. Li Z, Lu J, Li J, Sun X, Liao B. [Association between children asthma and the interferon gamma polymorphism gene]. Chinese Journal of Birth Health & Heredity 2006;14(9):22-3.
22. Ishizawa M, Shibasaki M, Yokouchi Y, Noguchi E, Arinami T, Yamakawa-Kobayashi K, et al. No association between atopic asthma and a coding variant of Fc epsilon R1 beta in a Japanese population. J Hum Genet 1999; 44(5):308-11.
23. Chen HH, Wang JY, Jan RL, Liu YH, Liu LF. Reliability and validity of childhood asthma control test in a population of Chinese asthmatic children. Qual Life Res 2008; 17(4):585-93.
24. Iwanaga T, McEuen A, Walls AF, Clough JB, Keith TP, Rorke S, et al. Polymorphism of the mast cell chymase gene (CMA1) promoter region: lack of association with asthma but association with serum total immunoglobulin E levels in adult atopic dermatitis. Clin Exp Allergy 2004; 34(7):1037-42.
25. Daneshmandi S, Pourfathollah AA, Pourpak Z, Heidarnazhad H, Kalvanagh PA. Cytokine gene polymorphism and asthma susceptibility, progress and control level. Mol Biol Rep 2012; 39(2):1845-53.
26. Lee YH, Woo JH, Choi SJ, Ji JD, Song GG. Functional monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 promoter -2518 polymorphism and systemic lupus erythematosus: a meta- analysis. Mol Biol Rep 2010; 37(7):3421-6.
27. Wang J, Pan HF, Hu YT, Zhu Y, He Q. Polymorphism of IL-8 in 251 allele and gastric cancer susceptibility: a meta-analysis. Dig Dis Sci 2010; 55(7):1818-23.
28. Higgins JP, Thompson SG. Quantifying heterogeneity in a meta-analysis. Stat Med 2002; 21(11):1539-58.
29. MANTEL N, HAENSZEL W. Statistical aspects of the analysis of data from retrospective studies of disease. J Natl Cancer Inst 1959, 22(4):719-48.
30. Yu L, Zhang Y, Chen C, Cui HF, Yan XK. [Meta-analysis on randomized controlled clinical trials of acupuncture for asthma]. Zhongguo Zhen Jiu 2010;30(9):787-92.
31. Begg C, Mazumdar M. Operating characteristics of a rank correlation test for publication bias. Biometrics 1994;50(4):1088-101.
32. Song F, Gilbody S. Bias in meta-analysis detected by a simple, graphical test. Increase in studies of publication bias coincided with increasing use of meta-analysis. BMJ 1997; 316(7129):471.
33. Rohrbach M, Kraemer R, Liechti-Gallati S. Screening of the Fc epsilon RI-beta-gene in a Swiss population of asthmatic children: no association with E237G and identification of new sequence variations. Dis Markers 1998; 14(3):177-86.
34. Chen H, Chen Y, Hu L. [Study on the FcepsilonRI- beta polymorphism and susceptibility of asthma in a Chinese population]. Zhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi 2000;80(9):664-7.
35. Cui TP, Wang L, Xie JG, Hu LH, Wu JM. [Study on the high-affinity IgE receptor beta gene polymorphism and its association with the susceptibility to allergic asthma in Han nationality of Hubei province]. Zhonghua Yi Xue Yi Chuan Xue Za Zhi 2003; 20(4):307-10.
36. Cui TP, Wang L, Xie JG, Hu LH, Wu JM. Association between the high-affinity IgE receptor β gene polymorphism and allergic asthma among adult in Hubei province. Chin J Pathophysiol 2003; 20(4):307-10.
37. Hizawa N, Yamaguchi E, Jinushi E, Kawakami Y. A common FCER1B gene promoter polymorphism influences total serum IgE levels in a Japanese population. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2000; 161(3 Pt1):906-9.
38. Huang H, Wu J: Association of IFN-γ and IL-4 gene polymorphisms with childhood bronchial asthmatic susceptibility and the levels of plasma IFN-γ, IL-4 and IgE. Chin J Pathophysiol 2010, 26:1769-75.
39. Hoffjan S, Ostrovnaja I, Nicolae D, Newman DL, Nicolae R, Gangnon R, et al. Genetic variation in immunoregulatory pathways and atopic phenotypes in infancy. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2004, 113(3):511-8.
40. Dmitrieva-Zdorova EV, Voronko OE, Latysheva EA, Storozhakov GI, Archakov AI. Analysis of polymorphisms in T(H)2-associated genes in Russian patients with atopic bronchial asthma. J Investig Allergol Clin Immunol 2012; 22(2):126-32.
41. Green SL, Gaillard MC, Song E, Dewar JB, Halkas A.
Polymorphisms of the beta chain of the high-affinity immunoglobulin E receptor (Fcepsilon RI-beta) in South African black and white asthmatic and nonasthmatic individuals. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1998; 158(5 Pt1):1487-92.
42. Pino-Yanes M, Corrales A, Cumplido J, Poza P, Sanchez- Machin I, Sanchez-Palacios A, et al. Assessing the validity of asthma associations for eight candidate genes and age at diagnosis effects. PLoS One 2013;8(9):e73157.
43. Li Y, Wu B, Xiong H, Zhu C, Zhang L. Polymorphisms of STAT-6, STAT-4 and IFN-gamma genes and the risk of asthma in Chinese population. Respir Med 2007;101(9):1977-81.
44. Tu X, Kuang J, Zou Y, Rao J: Research on relationship between the high affinity IgE receptor B chain gene polymorphism and the total serum IgE in bronchial asthma patients. Chin J Tuberc Respir Dis 2004, 27:704-5.
45. Du Q, Li M, Xu G, Liu C, Liu X, Yan Y: [Correlation between high affinity immunoglobulin E receptor gene and asthmatic children in Sichuan of China]. Med J West China 2006, 18(1):19-21.
46. Li M, Du Q, Li L, Song L, Li B. [Gene mutation of high affinity immunoglobulin E receptor beta-chain in children with asthma]. Zhongguo Dang Dai Er Ke Za Zhi 2006;8(6):453-6.
47. Undarmaa S, Mashimo Y, Hattori S, Shimojo N, Fujita K, Miyatake A, et al. Replication of genetic association studies in asthma and related phenotypes. J Hum Genet 2010; 55(6):342-9.
48. Chan IH, Tang NL, Leung TF, Huang W, Lam YY, Li CY, et al. Study of gene-gene interactions for endophenotypic quantitative traits in Chinese asthmatic children. Allergy 2008; 63(8):1031-9.
49. Kim ES, Kim SH, Kim KW, Park HS, Shin ES, Lee JE, et al. Involvement of Fc(epsilon)R1beta gene polymorphisms in susceptibility to atopy in Korean children with asthma. Eur J Pediatr 2009; 8(12):1483-90.
50. Kim SH, Bae JS, Holloway JW, Lee JT, Suh CH, Nahm DH, et al. A polymorphism of MS4A2 (- 109T > C) encoding the beta-chain of the high-affinity immunoglobulin E receptor (FcepsilonR1beta) is associated with a susceptibility to aspirin-intolerant asthma. Clin Exp Allergy 2006; 36(7):877-83.
51. Shirakawa T, Mao XQ, Sasaki S, Enomoto T, Kawai M, Morimoto K, et al. Association between atopic asthma and a coding variant of Fc epsilon RI beta in a Japanese population. Hum Mol Genet 1996, 5(8):1129-30.
52. Wang L, Cui T: Relationship between FcεRIβ gene polymorphism and juvenile allergic asthma in Hubei Area. J Huazhong Univ Sci Tech 2003, 32(3):332-5.
53. Zeng L, Zhou S, Kuang J, Rao W. Study on mutation of β chain of high-affinity IgE receptor gene E237G in asthma patients. Acta Academiae Med Jiangxi 2001, 41(5):43-5.
54. Zhao K, HJ. C, Zhao F, Sun M, Fu W. Analysis of gene mutation for high affinity immunoglobulin E receptor chain in asthmatic children. J Clinical Pediatrics 2004,22(12):794-7.
55. Li H, Xiaoyan D, Quanhua L, Jie L, Yixiao B. Single- nucleotide polymorphisms in genes predisposing to asthma in children of Chinese Han nationality. J Investig Allergol Clin Immunol 2009; 19(5):391-5.
56. Zhao K, Lu J, Wang Z, Guo Y, Yu L, Fu W. Association between FcεRI-β gene promoter polymorphism and total serum IgE levels of asthma in children. Chin J Practical Pediatrics 2004, 19(12):744-6.
57. Huang HR, Zhong YQ, Wu JF. The association between IFN-gamma and IL-4 genetic polymorphisms and childhood susceptibility to bronchial asthma. Gene 2012;494(1):96-101.
58. Jiao G, Liu X, Ma Y. Association between bronchial asthma and the interferon gamma +874(A/T)gene polymorphism. J Harbin Med Univ 2011, 45(3):243-6.
59. Zheng BQ, Wang GL, Yang S, Lu YQ, Liu RJ, Li Y. [Study of genetic susceptibility in 198 children with asthma]. Zhongguo Dang Dai Er Ke Za Zhi 2012;14(11):811-4.
60. Godava M, Kopriva F, Bohmova J, Vodicka R, Dusek L, Cvanova M, et al. Association of STAT6 and ADAM33 single nucleotide polymorphisms with asthma bronchiale and IgE level and its possible epigenetic background. Biomed Pap Med Fac Univ Palacky Olomouc Czech Repub 2012; 156(3):236-47.
61. Sharma S, Nagarkatti R, C BR, Niphadkar PV, Vijayan V, Sharma SK, et al: A_16_C haplotype in the FcepsilonRIbeta gene confers a higher risk for atopic asthma in the Indian population. Clin Genet 2004;66(5):417-25.
62. Movahedi M, Mahdaviani SA, Rezaei N, Moradi B, Dorkhosh S, Amirzargar AA. IL-10, TGF-beta, IL-2, IL-12, and IFN-gamma cytokine gene polymorphisms in asthma. J Asthma 2008; 45(9):790-4.
63. Li X, Zhang Y, Zhang J, Xiao Y, Huang J, Tian C, et al: Asthma susceptible genes in Chinese population: a meta- analysis. Respir Res 2010; 11:129.
64. Thornton A, Lee P. Publication bias in meta-analysis: its causes and consequences. J Clin Epidemiol 2000;53(2):207-16.
|Issue||Vol 14, No 1 (2015)|
|Asthma High affinity receptor IgE Interferon-γ Meta-Analysis Polymorphism|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|