Development of a New Immunochromatographic Assay Using Gold Nanoparticles for Screening of IgA Deficiency
A new competitive immunochromatography (ICG) strip test based on polyclonal antibody (pAb) conjugated with gold nanoparticles (NPs) was developed and its applications for primary screening of immunoglobulin (Ig) A in serum were evaluated. Nanocolloidal gold as the detection reagent, with an average particle diameter of 20 nm, was synthesized and labelled pAb. The antibody-nanocolloidal gold probe was applied on the conjugate pad, and human IgA was immobilized on a nitrocellulose membrane as the capture reagent to prepare the ICG strip test. It took only 10 minutes to accomplish a semi-quantitative detection of serum IgA in this assay. In the optimized investigational conditions, the ICG strip test could distinguish human serum IgA in the range from 1 to 270 ng/mL with a detection limit of 5 ng/mL. The reliability of testing procedures was examined by performing the ICG strip test with 11 serum samples and comparing the results with those obtained via enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA). The ICG strip was sufficiently sensitive and accurate for a rapid screening of IgA in human serum.
1. Kerr MA. The structure and function of human IgA.Biochem J 1990; 271(2):285–96.
2. Yel L. Selective IgA Deficiency. J Clin Immunol 2010;30(1):10–6.
3. Geha RS, Notarangelo LD, Casanova JL, Chapel H, Conley ME, Fischer A, et al. Primary immunodeficiency diseases: an update from the International Union of Immunological Societies Primary Immunodeficiency Diseases Classification Committee. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2007; 120(4):776–94.
4. Daele J, Zicot AF. Humoral immunodeficiency in recurrent upper respiratory tract infections. Some basic, clinical and therapeutic features. Acta Otorhinolaryngol Belg 2000; 54(3):373–90.
5. Wang N, Hammarström L. IgA deficiency: what is new?Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol 2012; 12(6):602–8.
6. Jorgensen GH, Ornolfsson AE, Johannesson A, Gudmundsson S, Janzi M, Wang N, et al. Association of immunoglobulin A deficiency and elevated thyrotropin- receptor autoantibodies in two Nordic countries. Hum Immunol 2011; 72(2):166–72.
7. Saghafi S, Pourpak Z, Aghamohammadi A, Pourfathollah AA, Samadian A, Farghadan M, et al. Selective immunoglobulin A deficiency in Iranian blood donors: prevalence, laboratory and clinical findings. Iran J Allergy Asthma Immunol 2008; 7(3):157-62.
8. Ammann AJ, Hong R. Selective IgA deficiency: presentation of 30 cases and a review of the literature. Medicine (Baltimore) 1971; 50(3):223–36.
9. Koskinen S. Long-term follow-up of health in blood donors with primary selective IgA deficiency. J Clin Immunol 1996; 16(3):165–70.
10. Liblau RS, Bach JF. Selective IgA deficiency and autoimmunity. Int Arch Allergy Immunol 1992;99(1):16–27.
11. Ziegler J, Penny R, Hughes DO. The clinical significance of selective IgA deficiency. Aust N Z J Med 1973;3(6):565-71.
12. Janzi M, Kull I, Sjoberg R, Wan J, Melén E, Bayat N, et al. Selective IgA deficiency in early life: association to infections and allergic diseases during childhood. Clin Immunol 2009; 133(1):78–85.
13. Jorgensen GH, Arnlaugsson S, Theodors A, Ludviksson BR. Immunoglobulin A deficiency and oral health status: a case-control study. J Clin Periodontol 2010; 37(1):1–8.
14. Yap PL, Pryde EA, Mc Clelland DB. IgA content of frozen-thawed-washed red blood cells and blood products measured by radioimmunoassay. Transfusion 1982;22(1):36–8.
15. Haun Mm,Wasi S. An enzyme immunoassay for the determination of low levels of IgA in human serum. J Immunol Methods 1989; 121(2):151-5.
16. Laschinger C, Gauthier D, Valet JP, Naylor DH.Fluctuating levels of serum IgA in individuals with selective IgA deficiency. Vox Sang 1984; 47(1):60-7.
17. Omidfar K, Khorsand, F, DarzianiAzizi M. New analytical applications of gold nanoparticles as label in antibody based sensors. Biosens Bioelectron 2013;26(43):336–47.
18. Xiulan S, Xiaolian Z, Jian T, Zhou J, Chu FS. Preparation of gold-labeled antibody probe and its use in immunochromatography assay for detection of aflatoxin B1. Int J Food Microbiol 2005; 99(2):185–94.
19. Lee EY, Kang JH, Kim KA, Chung TW, Kim HJ, Yoon DY, et al. Development of a rapid immunochromatographic strip test for serum asialo alpha1acid glycoprotein in patients with hepatic disease. J Immunol Methods 2006; 308(1-2):116-23.
20. Molinelli A, Grossalber K, Führer M, Baumgartner S, Sulyok M, Krska R. Development of qualitative and semiquantitative immunoassay-based rapid strip tests for the detection of T-2 toxin in wheat and oat. J Agric Food Chem 2008; 56(8):2589–94.
21. Pastoor R, Hatta M, Abdoel TH, Smits HL. Simple, rapid and affordable point-of-care test for the serodiagnosis of typhoid fever. Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 2008;61(2):129-34.
22. Bienek DR, Biagini RE, Charlton DG, Smith JP, Sammons DL, Robertson SA. Rapid point-of-care test to detect broad ranges of protective antigen-specific immunoglobulin G concentrations in recipients of the U.S-licensed anthrax vaccine. Clin Vaccine Immunol 2008; 15(4):644-9.
23. Beck O, Kraft M, Moeller MR, Smith BL, Schneider S, Wennig R. Frontline immunochromatographic device for on-site urine testing of amphetamines: laboratory validation using authentic specimens. Ann Clin Biochem 2000; 37(pt 2):199–204.
24. Paek SH, Lee SH, Cho JH, Kim YS. Development of rapid one-step immunochromatographic assay. Methods 2000; 22:53–60.
25. Omidfar K, Kia S, Larijani B. Development of a Colloidal Gold-based Immunochromatographic Test Strip for Screening of Microalbuminuria. Hybridoma 2011;30(2):117-24.
26. Omidfar K, Dehdast A, Zarei H, Sourkohi BK, Larijani B.Development of urinary albumin immunosensor based on colloidal AuNP and PVA. Biosens Bioelectron 2011;26(10):4177–83.
27. Gui WJ, Wang ST, Guo YR, Zhu GN. Development of a one-step strip for the detection of triazophos residues in environmental samples. Anal. Biochem 2008;377(2):202-8.
28. Omidfar K, Zarei H, Gholizadeh F, Larijani B. A high- sensitivity electrochemical immunosensor based on mobile crystalline material-41-polyvinyl alcohol nanocomposite and colloidal gold nanoparticles. Anal Biochem 2012; 421:649–56.
29. Omidfar K, Kia S, Kashanian S, Paknejad M, Besharatie A, Kashanian S, et al. Colloidal nanogold-based immunochromatographic strip test for the detection of digoxin toxicity. Appl Biochem Biotechnol 2010;160(3):843–55.
30. Omidfar K, Rasaee MJ, Zaraee AB, Amir MP, Rahbarizadeh F. Stabilization of penicillinase-hapten conjugate for enzyme immunoassay. J Immunoassay Immunochem 2002; 23(3):385–98.
31. Chandran S, Khetan D, Chaudhary, Misra R, Aggarwal A.Low prevalence of IgA deficiency in north Indian population. Indian J Med Res 2006; 123(5):653–6.
32. Barclay GR, Gall JM, Gillon J, Yap PL. Latex agglutination method for IgA deficiency used for large scale screening of blood donor sera. J Clin Pathol 1986;39(4): 458-9.
33. Munks R. Rapid large scale screening of blood donor plasma for IgA deficiency, confirmation and quantitation. Transfus. sci 1989; 10(2):155-9.
|Issue||Vol 14, No 1 (2015)|
|IgA deficiency Immunoglobulin A Immunochromatography Gold nanoparticle Screening test|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|