Vitamin D deficiency in chronic idiopathic urticaria.
Chronic urticaria is the most common skin diseases, characterized by chronic cutaneous lesions which severely debilitates patients in several aspects of their everyday life. Vitamin D is known to exert several actions in the immune system and to influence function and differentiation of mast cells, central role players in the pathogenesis of chronic idiopathic urticaria. This study was performed to evaluate the relationship between vitamin D levels and susceptibility to chronic idiopathic urticaria. One hundred and fourteen patients with chronic idiopathic urticaria were recruited in this study along with one hundred and eighty seven sex-matched and age-matched healthy volunteers as the control group. For each patient, urticaria activity score was calculated and autologous serum skin test was done. Vitamin D metabolic statue was measured in serum as 25 hydroxyvitamin D using enzyme immunoassay method. Patients with chronic idiopathic urticaria significantly showed lower levels of vitamin D. Vitamin D deficiency was significantly associated with increased susceptibility to chronic idiopathic urticaria. There was a significant positive correlation between vitamin D levels and urticaria activity score. This study showed that patients with chronic idiopathic urticaria had reduced levels of vitamin D, while vitamin D deficiency could increase susceptibility to chronic idiopathic urticaria.
1. Fernando S, Broadfoot A. Chronic urticaria--assessment and treatment. Aust Fam Physician 2010; 39(3):135-8.
2. Vonakis BM, Saini SS. New concepts in chronic urticaria.Curr Opin Immunol 2008; 20(6):709-16.
3. Fromer L. Treatment options for the relief of chronic idiopathic urticaria symptoms. South Med J 2008;101(2):186-92.
4. Grattan CE, Sabroe RA, Greaves MW. Chronic urticaria.J Am Acad Dermatol 2002; 46(5):645-57.
5. Najib U, Sheikh J. The spectrum of chronic urticaria.Allergy Asthma Proc 2009; 30(1):1-10.
6. Ozkan M, Oflaz SB, Kocaman N, Ozseker F, Gelincik A, Buyukozturk S, et al. Psychiatric morbidity and quality of life in patients with chronic idiopathic urticaria. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 2007; 99(1):29-33.
7. Mlynek A, Maurer M, Zalewska A. Update on chronic urticaria: focusing on mechanisms. Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol 2008; 8(5):433-7.
8. Beltrani VS. An overview of chronic urticaria. Clin Rev Allergy Immunol 2002; 23(2):147-69.
9. Greaves MW, Tan KT. Chronic urticaria: recent advances. Clin Rev Allergy Immunol 2007; 33(1-2):134-43.
10. Greaves MW. Chronic idiopathic urticaria. Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol 2003; 3(5):363-8.
11. Yu C, Fedoric B, Anderson PH, Lopez AF, Grimbaldeston MA. Vitamin D(3) signalling to mast cells: A new regulatory axis. Int J Biochem Cell Biol 2011; 43(1):41-6.
12. Deluca HF, Cantorna MT. Vitamin D: its role and uses in immunology. FASEB J 2001; 15(14):2579-85.
13. Vassallo MF, Camargo CA, Jr. Potential mechanisms for the hypothesized link between sunshine, vitamin D, and food allergy in children. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2010;126(2):217-22.
14. Abuzeid WM, Akbar NA, Zacharek MA. Vitamin D and chronic rhinitis. Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol 2012;12(1):13-7.
15. Baroni E, Biffi M, Benigni F, Monno A, Carlucci D, Carmeliet G, et al. VDR-dependent regulation of mast cell maturation mediated by 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3. J Leukoc Biol 2007; 81(1):250-62.
16. Searing DA, Leung DY. Vitamin D in atopic dermatitis, asthma and allergic diseases. Immunol Allergy Clin North Am 2010; 30(3):397-409.
17. Osborne NJ, Ukoumunne OC, Wake M, Allen KJ.Prevalence of eczema and food allergy is associated with latitude in Australia. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2012;129(3):865-7.
18. Akbar NA, Zacharek MA. Vitamin D: immunomodulation of asthma, allergic rhinitis, and chronic rhinosinusitis. Curr Opin Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2011; 19(3):224-8.
19. Weiss ST, Litonjua AA. Vitamin D in asthma and allergy:what next? Eur Respir J 2011; 38(6):1255-7.
20. Jones AP, Tulic MK, Rueter K, Prescott SL. Vitamin D and allergic disease: sunlight at the end of the tunnel? Nutrients 2012; 4(1):13-28.
21. Annesi-Maesano I. Perinatal events, vitamin D, and the development of allergy. Pediatr Res 2002; 52(1):3-5.
22. Sandhu MS, Casale TB. The role of vitamin D in asthma.Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 2010; 105(3):191-9.
23. Bozzetto S, Carraro S, Giordano G, Boner A, Baraldi E.Asthma, allergy and respiratory infections: the vitamin D hypothesis. Allergy 2012; 67(1):10-7.
24. Holick MF. Vitamin D deficiency. N Engl J Med 2007;357(3):266-81.
25. Ginde AA, Liu MC, Camargo CA Jr. Demographic differences and trends of vitamin D insufficiency in the US population, 1988-2004. Arch Intern Med 2009;169(6):626-32.
26. Mlynek A, Zalewska-Janowska A, Martus P, Staubach P, Zuberbier T, Maurer M. How to assess disease activity in patients with chronic urticaria? Allergy 2008; 63(6):777-80.
27. Konstantinou GN, Asero R, Ferrer M, Knol EF, Maurer M, Raap U, et al. EAACI taskforce position paper: evidence for autoimmune urticaria and proposal for defining diagnostic criteria. Allergy 2013; 68(1):27-36.
28. Thorp WA, Goldner W, Meza J, Poole JA. Reduced vitamin D levels in adult subjects with chronic urticaria. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2010; 126(2):413.
29. Goetz DW. Idiopathic itch, rash, and urticaria/angioedema merit serum vitamin D evaluation: a descriptive case series. W V Med J 2011; 107(1):14-20.
30. Sindher SB, Jariwala S, Gilbert J, Rosenstreich D.Resolution of chronic urticaria coincident with vitamin D supplementation. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 2012;109(5):359-60.
31. Benson AA, Toh JA, Vernon N, Jariwala SP. The role of vitamin D in the immunopathogenesis of allergic skin diseases. Allergy 2012; 67(3):296-301.
32. Goetz DW. Vitamin D treatment of idiopathic itch, rash, and urticaria/angioedema. Allergy Asthma Proc 2010;31(2):158-60.
33. Babina M, Krautheim M, Grutzkau A, Henz BM. Human leukemic (HMC-1) mast cells are responsive to 1alpha,25-dihydroxyvitamin D(3): selective promotion of ICAM-3 expression and constitutive presence of vitamin D(3) receptor. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 2000;273(3):1104-10.
34. Russell DS, Rassnick KM, Erb HN, Vaughan MM, McDonough SP. An immunohistochemical study of vitamin D receptor expression in canine cutaneous mast cell tumours. J Comp Pathol 2010; 143(2-3):223-6.
35. Shalita-Chesner M, Koren R, Mekori YA, Baram D, Rotem C, Liberman UA, et al. 1,25-Dihydroxyvitamin D3 enhances degranulation of mast cells. Mol Cell Endocrinol 1998; 142(1-2):49-55.
Copyright (c) Iranian Journal of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.