Improved Diagnosis of the Polysensitized Allergic Rhinitis Patients Using Component Resolved Diagnosis Method
Allergy diagnosis needs to be improved in polysensitized patients due to the existence of possible confounding factors in this type of patients. Component resolved diagnosis (CRD) is a new concept in the investigation of polysensitized patients. The aim of this study was to evaluate if the utilization of ImmunoCAP ISAC improve the diagnosis of the polysensitized allergic rhinitis patients. Skin prick test (SPT) to 58 crude allergen extracts and CRD (ImmunoCAP ISAC) were carried out for 5 polysensitized allergic rhinitis patients. Two patients had a shellfish allergy and avoidance of shellfish was the only way to prevent an allergic reaction. In contrast, although the remaining three patients had low risk for shellfish allergy, but they were the best candidates for immunotherapy using mite extracts. CRD and particularly ImmunoCAP ISAC have proven to be a valuable diagnostic tool in polysensitized patients. ImmunoCAP ISAC helps refine the individual patient’s sensitization profile and predict the potential risk of allergic reactions and improve the selection of patients for immunotherapy.
1. Luengo O, Cardona V. Component resolved diagnosis: when should it be used? Clin Transl Allergy 2014; 4:28.
2. Shahnaz M, Gendeh BS, Nasuruddin A. Skin test reactivity to inhalant and food allergens in patients with allergic rhinitis. Int Med Res J 2001; 5(2):69-73.
3. Ayuso R, Reese G, Leong-Kee S, Plante M, Lehrer SB. Molecular basis of arthropod cross-reactivity: IgE-binding cross-reactive epitopes of shrimp, house dust mite and cockroach tropomyosins. Int Arch Allergy Immunol 2002; 129(1):38-48.
4. Reese G, Ayuso R, Lehrer SB. Tropomyosin: an invertebrate pan-allergen. Int Arch Allergy Immunol 1999; 119(4):247-58.
5. Bousquet J, Reid J, van Weel C, Baena Cagnani C, Canonica GW, Demoly P, et al. Allergic rhinitis management pocket reference 2008. Allergy 2008; 63(8):990-6.
6. Rossi RE, Melioli G, Monasterolo G, Harwanegg C, Rossi L, Canonica GW, et al. Sensitization profiles in polysensitized patients from a restricted geographical area: further lessons from multiplexed component resolved diagnosis. Eur Ann Allergy Clin Immunol 2011; 43(6):171-5.
7. Alessandri C, Zennaro D, Zaffiro A, Mari A. Molecular allergology approach to allergic disease in the paediatric age. Ital J Pediatr 2009; 35(1):29.
8. Rosmilah M, Shahnaz M, Zailatul HMY, Noormalin , Normilah I. Identification of tropomyosin and arginine kinase as major allergens of Portunus pelagicus (blue swimming crab). Trop Biomed 2012; 29(3):467-78.
9. Yadzir ZHM, Misnan R, Abdullah N, Bakhtiar F, Arip M, Murad S. Identification of the major allergen of Macrobrachium rosenbergii (giant freshwater prawn). Asian Pac J Trop Biomed 2012; 2(1):50-4. 10. Resch Y, Weghofer M, Seiberler S, Horak F, Scheiblhofer
S, Linhart B, et al. Molecular characterization of Der p 10: a diagnostic marker for broad sensitization in house dust mite allergy. Clin Exp Allergy 2011; 41(10):1468-77.
11. Mohamad Yadzir ZH, Misnan R, Abdullah N, Bakhtiar F, Leecyous B, Murad S. Component-resolved diagnosis (CRD): Is it worth it? Frequency and differentiation in rhinitis patients with mite reactivity. Iran J Allergy Asthma Immunol 2014; 13(4):240-6. ####
|Issue||Vol 15, No 2 (2016)|
|Allergic rhinitis Component resolved diagnosis Skin prick testing|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|