Teucrium polium Extract Alleviates Pathological Features of Asthma via lL-12 and IFN-γ Modulation in Murine OVA-induced Allergic Asthma
Asthma is a chronic disorder characterized by airway overreaction and remodeling, eosinophilia, and neutrophilic inflammation, accompanied by thickening of the airways and breathlessness. Teucrium polium (TP) is a plant with anti-inflammatory properties and is considered for the treatment of allergic disorders.
In this study, we examined the effects of TP extract on ovalbumin (OVA)-induced asthma. Thirty female mice (5–6 weeks old) were divided into 5 groups of 6 each, including a control group and 4 groups treated with OVA, OVA + TP extract (50 mg/kg), OVA + TP extract (150 mg/kg), OVA + TP extract (300 mg/kg). Twenty-four hours after the last treatment, lung, serum, and spleen samples were collected and used for the evaluation of leukocyte infiltration, serum cytokine Interferon-gamma (IFN-γ) levels, and the expression of the Interleukin-12A (IL12A) gene, respectively. Hematoxylin-eosin staining was used to evaluate pathological changes in the lung tissue sections.
Treatment with TP extract reduced inflammatory cells such as eosinophils and neutrophils in the airways. Furthermore, it increased serum levels of IFN-γ and IL-12A at a dose of 50, 150, and 300 mg/kg compared to the OVA group.
This study showed that the administration of TP extract could improve pathological features, such as airway inflammation, and reduce systemic inflammation.
2. Siroux V, Boudier A, Bousquet J, Bresson J-L, Cracowski J-L, Ferran J, et al. Phenotypic determinants of uncontrolled asthma. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2009;124(4):681-7. e3.
3. Seo DG, Kim S, Lee DK, Kim NY, Lee JS, Hwang KW, et al. Inhibitory effect of α-amyrin acetate isolated from Fraxinus rhynchophylla on Th17 polarization. Phytomedicine : international journal of phytotherapy and phytopharmacology. 2019;63:153056.
4. Tomita K, Lim S, Hanazawa T, Usmani O, Stirling R, Chung KF, et al. Attenuated Production of Intracellular IL-10 and IL-12 in Monocytes from Patients with Severe Asthma. Clin Immunol. 2002;102(3):258-66.
5. Chen L, Lei L, Zhou Z, He J, Xu S, Lu C, et al. Contribution of interleukin-12 p35 (IL-12p35) and IL-12p40 to protective immunity and pathology in mice infected with Chlamydia muridarum. Infect Immun. 2013;81(8):2962-71.
6. Wills-Karp M. IL-12/IL-13 axis in allergic asthma. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2001;107(1):9-18.
7. van der Pouw Kraan TC, Boeije LC, de Groot ER, Stapel SO, Snijders A, Kapsenberg ML, et al. Reduced production of IL-12 and IL-12-dependent IFN-gamma release in patients with allergic asthma. J Immunol. 1997;158(11):5560-5.
8. Pistiner M, Hunninghake GM, Soto-Quiros ME, Avila L, Murphy A, Lasky-Su J, et al. Polymorphisms in IL12A and cockroach allergy in children with asthma. Clin Mol Allergy. 2008;6:6.
9. Randolph AG, Lange C, Silverman EK, Lazarus R, Silverman ES, Raby B, et al. The IL12B gene is associated with asthma. Am J hum Gen. 2004;75(4):709-15.
10. Rajizadeh MA, Najafipour H, Samareh Fekr M, Rostamzadeh F, Jafari E, Bejeshk MA, et al. Anti-Inflammatory and Anti-Oxidative Effects of Myrtenol in the Rats with Allergic Asthma. Iranian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2019; 18 3: 1488-98.
11. Giri S, Meitei HT, Sonar SA, Shaligram S, Lal G. In vitro-induced Foxp3+ CD8+ regulatory T cells suppress allergic IgE response in the gut. Journal of Leukocyte Biology. 2022 Dec;112(6):1497-507.
12. Finotto S. Resolution of allergic asthma. Seminars Immunopathol. 2019;41(6):665-74.
13. Abdolghaffari AH, Baghaei A, Moayer F, Esmaily H, Baeeri M, Monsef-Esfahani HR, et al. On the benefit of Teucrium in murine colitis through improvement of toxic inflammatory mediators. Hum & Experimen Toxicol. 2010;29(4):287-95.
14. Asadi Y, Farahmandfar R. Frying stability of canola oil supplemented with ultrasound-assisted extraction of Teucrium polium. Food Sci Nutr. 2020;8(2):1187-96.
15. Bahramikia S, Hemmati Hassan Gavyar P, Yazdanparast R. Teucrium polium L: An updated review of phytochemicals and biological activities. Avicenna J Phytomed. 2022;12(3):224-40.
16. Rahmouni F, Hamdaoui L, Rebai T. In vivo anti-inflammatory activity of aqueous extract of Teucrium polium against carrageenan-induced inflammation in experimental models. Arch Physiol Biochem. 2017;123(5):313-21.
17. Abdollahi M, Karimpour H, Monsef-Esfehani HR. Antinociceptive effects of Teucrium polium L total extract and essential oil in mouse writhing test. Pharmacol Res. 2003;48(1):31-5.
18. Nassar A, Almukhtar N, Alturaihy S. Journal of Global Pharma Technology Physiological Effects of Teucrium polium Extract Ameliorates Ovalbumin-Induced Allergy in Rabbits. J Global Pharma Technol. 2019;11:458-63.
19. Rezaei Z, Nazerizadeh M, Seadat-Mahani M, Esmaeili Mahani S. Oral administration of Teucrium polium extract ameliorates ovalbumin-induced allergy in rats. J Physiol Pharmacol. 2013;17.
20. Daneshvar-Ghahfarokhi S, Rahnama A, Mohammadi-Shahrokhi V. Teucrium polium Extract Attenuates Inflammation in Asthma by Reducing RORγt Transcription and Increasing IL-10 Secretion in an Ovalbumin-induced Murine Asthma Model Iranian journal of immunology : IJI 2023; 20 2: 159-66.
21. Shaw DE, Sousa AR, Fowler SJ, Fleming LJ, Roberts G, Corfield J, et al. Clinical and inflammatory characteristics of the European U-BIOPRED adult severe asthma cohort. Europ Resp J. 2015;46(5):1308.
22. Deo SS, Mistry KJ, Kakade AM, Niphadkar PV. Role played by Th2 type cytokines in IgE mediated allergy and asthma. Lung India. 2010;27(2):66-71.
23. Khadige A, Keshavarz Z, Mojab F, Majd HA. The effect of Teucrium polium on the duration of menstrual bleeding: A triple-blind placebo-controlled clinical trial. Electronic physician. 2017;9(9):5233-6.
24. Nasser Gholijani, Marjan Gharagozloo, Shirin Farjadian & Zahra Amirghofran. Modulatory effects of thymol and carvacrol on inflammatory transcription factors in lipopolysaccharide-treated macrophages, Journal of Immunotoxicology,2016: 13:2, 157-164
25. Hassan ME, Hassan RR, Diab KA, El-Nekeety AA, Hassan NS, Abdel-Wahhab MA. Nanoencapsulation of thyme essential oil: a new avenue to enhance its protective role against oxidative stress and cytotoxicity of zinc oxide nanoparticles in rats. Environmen Sci Pollution Rese Int. 2021;28(37):52046-63.
26. Rizk A, Hammouda F, Rimpler H, Kamel A. Iridoids and Flavonoids of Teucrium polium Herb. Planta medica. 1986;52:87-8.
27. Sayyad R, Farahmandfar R. Influence of Teucrium polium L. essential oil on the oxidative stability of canola oil during storage. J Food Sci Technol. 2017;54(10):3073-81.
28. Rezaei Z, Nazerizadeh MR, Seadat-Mahani MR, Esmaeili Mahani S. Oral administration of Teucrium polium extract ameliorates ovalbumin-induced allergy in rats. Physiol Pharmacol. 2013;17(3):308-14.
29. Van Hulst G, Batugedara HM, Jorssen J, Louis R, Bureau F, Desmet CJ. Eosinophil diversity in asthma. Biochem Pharmacol. 2020;179:113963.
30. Ray A, Kolls JK. Neutrophilic Inflammation in Asthma and Association with Disease Severity. Trends Immunol. 2017;38(12):942-54.
31. Tanaka Y, Furuta A, Asano K, Kobayashi H. Modulation of Th1/Th2 Cytokine Balance by Quercetin In Vitro. Medicines. 2020; 7(8):46.
32. Ford JG, Rennick D, Donaldson DD, Venkayya R, McArthur C, Hansell E, et al. Il-13 and IFN-gamma: interactions in lung inflammation. J Immunol. 2001;167(3):1769-77.
33. Rogerio AP, Andrade EL, Leite DF, Figueiredo CP, Calixto JB. Preventive and therapeutic anti-inflammatory properties of the sesquiterpene alpha-humulene in experimental airways allergic inflammation. British J oPharmacol. 2009;158(4):1074-87.
34. Wang, J, Zhu, W, Chen, Y, Lin, Z, Ma, S. CD38 gene-modified dendritic cells inhibit murine asthma development by increasing IL-12 production and promoting Th1 cell differentiation. Molecular Medicine Reports. (2016). 4374-4382.
35. Zhang YL, Luan B, Wang XF, Qiao JY, Song L, Lei RR, et al. Peripheral blood MDSCs, IL-10 and IL-12 in children with asthma and their importance in asthma development. PloS one. 2013;8(5):e63775.
|Issue||Vol 22 No 4 (2023)|
|Asthma Interferon-gamma Interleukin 12a Inflammation Teucrium polium|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|