A Rare Autoimmune Disease Detected in the Differential Diagnosis of Immunodeficiency: Histiocytosis-lymphadenopathy Plus Syndrome
Mutations in the SLC29A3 gene cause histiocytosis-lymphadenopathy plus (H) syndrome, a rare autosomal recessive genetic condition that affects numerous systems. We present a 7-year-old Syrian patient with pericardial effusion whose acute phase reactants did not decrease despite treatment. In order to emphasize the variety and raise awareness of H syndrome in the hopes of achieving an early diagnosis and appropriate treatment, molecular investigation of SLC29A3-related disorders is crucial. H syndrome is an uncommon genetic condition with a broad spectrum of phenotypes. Therefore, early genetic testing is essential for the accurate diagnosis of patients. Doctors should be aware of this condition and its symptoms and consider autoimmune diseases as a possible alternative diagnosis in patients with suspected immunodeficiency.
2. Molho-Pessach V, Agha Z, Aamar S, et al. The H syndrome: a genodermatosis characterized by indurated, hyperpigmented, and hypertrichotic skin with systemic manifestations. JAm Acad Dermatol. 2008;59(01):79–85
3. Molho-Pessach V, Lerer I, Abeliovich D, et al. The H syndrome is caused by mutations in the nucleoside transporter hENT3. Am J Hum Genet 2008;83(04):529–534
4. Molho-Pessach V, Ramot Y, Camille F, et al. H syndrome: the first 79 patients. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2014;70(01):80–8.
5. Bloom JL, Lin C, Imundo L, et al. H syndrome: 5 new cases from the United States with novel features and responses to therapy. Pediatr Rheumatol Online J. 2017;15(01):76
6. Farooq M, Moustafa RM, Fujimoto A, et al. Identification of Two Novel Mutations in SLC29A3 Encoding an Equilibrative Nucleoside Transporter (hENT3) in Two Distinct Syrian Families with H Syndrome: Expression Studies of SLC29A3 (hENT3) in Human Skin. Dermatology. 2012; 224:277–284
7. Molho-Pessach V, Suarez J, Perrin C, et al. The H syndrome: Two novel mutations affecting the same amino acid residue of hENT3. J Dermatol Sci. 2010;57(1):59-61.
8. Kang N, Jun AH, Bhutia YD, Kannan N, Unadkat JD, Govindarajan R. Human equilibrative nucleoside transporter-3 (hENT3) spectrum disorder mutations impair nucleoside transport, protein localization, and stability. J Biol Chem. 2010;285(36):28343-52.
9. Alansari S, Alsaleem A, Alzaid T, et al. The SLC29A3 variant, neutrophilic dermatosis, and hyperferritinemia imitate systemic juvenile idiopathic arthritis in a Saudi child: a case report. J Rheum Dis. 2023 Apr 1;30(2):133-7.
10. Senniappan S, Hughes M, Shah P, Shah V, Kaski JP, Brogan P, et al. Pigmentary hypertrichosis and non-autoimmune insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus (PHID) syndrome is associated with severe chronic inflammation and cardiomyopathy, and represents a new monogenic autoinflammatory syndrome. J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab. 2013;26(9–10): 877–82. https://doi.org/10.1515/jpem-2013-0062.
11. Jaouadi H, Zaouak A, Sellami K, Messaoud O, Chargui M, Hammami H, et al. H syndrome: clinical, histological and genetic investigation in Tunisian patients. J Dermatol. 2018;45(8):978–85.
|Issue||Vol 22 No 4 (2023)|
|Autoimmunity Histiocytosis Lymphadenopathy|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|