Neonatal Onset of Hemophagocytic Lymphohistiocytosis Due to Prenatal Varicella-Zoster Infection in a Neonate with Griscelli Syndrome Type 2
Type 2 Griscelli syndrome (Type2 GS) is a primary inborn error of the immune system, classified in the immune dysregulation group.1,2 There are three different types of the disease, with different genetic causes responsible for the autosomal recessive inheritance pattern. Although hypopigmentation is common in all variants, neurological involvement or immunodeficiency with varying severity is seen in different types. Molecular motor protein myosin 5 an (MYo5A) [Type1GS], guanosine Triphosphate (GTP) binding protein (RAB27A) [Type2GS], and mutation in human melanophilin (MLPH) [Type 3GS] which is limited to hypopigmentation are reported as the known genetic defects in GS.3 Severe, ineffective, and uncontrolled inflammatory reactions are referred to as the pathogenesis of Hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis (HLH). HLH is a life-threatening condition that can be defined as either primary or secondary. Secondary causes happen in the context of autoimmunity, malignancy, spontaneous, or infections.4 Prenatal infections play an important role in causing long-term complications in the fetus. Some of them include toxoplasmosis, rubella, cytomegalovirus, herpes simplex, and other organisms including syphilis, parvovirus, and Varicella zoster, known as TORCH syndrome (5).TORCH has been well described for a long time but there are limited reports of developing HLH in the context of prenatal infections. We described a type 2GS syndrome with neonatal-onset HLH triggered by a prenatal infection.
2. Griscelli C, Durandy A, Guy-Grand D, Daguillard F, Herzog C, Prunieras M. A syndrome associating partial albinism and immunodeficiency. Am J Med. 1978;65(4):691-702.
3. Rajyalakshmi R, Chakrapani R. Griscelli syndrome type 2: A rare and fatal syndrome in a South Indian boy. Indian J Pathol Microbiol. 2016;59(1):113-6.
4. Ménasché G, Ho CH, Sanal O, Feldmann J, Tezcan I, Ersoy F, et al. Griscelli syndrome restricted to hypopigmentation results from a melanophilin defect (GS3) or a MYO5A F-exon deletion (GS1). J Clin Invest. 2005;115(4):1100-.
5. Vieira-Karuta SC, Silva ICB, Almeida NAP, Noronha Ld, Santos MLS, Liberalesso PB. Griscelli syndrome and electroencephalography pattern. Arq Neuropsiquiatr. 2008;66(2B):420-2.
6. Neu N, Duchon J, Zachariah P. TORCH infections. Clin Perinatol. 2015;42(1):77-103.
7. Jordan MB, Allen CE, Weitzman S, Filipovich AH, McClain KL. How I treat hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2011;118(15):4041-52.
8. Cetica V, Hackmann Y, Grieve S, Sieni E, Ciambotti B, Coniglio ML, et al. Patients with Griscelli syndrome and normal pigmentation identify RAB27A mutations that selectively disrupt MUNC13-4 binding. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2015;135(5):1310-8. e1.
9. Jordan MB, Hildeman D, Kappler J, Marrack P. An animal model of hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis (HLH): CD8+ T cells and interferon gamma are essential for the disorder. Blood. 2004;104(3):735-43.
10. Meschede I, Santos T, Izidoro-Toledo T, Gurgel-Gianetti J, Espreafico E. Griscelli syndrome-type 2 in twin siblings: case report and update on RAB27A human mutations and gene structure. Braz J Med Biol Res. 2008;41(10):839-48.
11. Al‐Sulaiman R, Othman A, El‐Akouri K, Fareed S, AlMulla H, Sukik A, et al. A founder RAB27A variant causes Griscelli syndrome type 2 with phenotypic heterogeneity in Qatari families. A Am J Med Genet A. 2020;182(11):2570-80.
12. Cetinkaya PG, Cagdas D, Gumruk F, Tezcan I. Hemophagocytic Lymphohistiocytosis in Patients With Primary Immunodeficiency. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol. 2020;42(6):434-9.
13. Elsharkawy A, Assem H, Salama M, Mikhael N, Zeid MY, El Chazli Y. Clinical Characteristics and Outcomes of 101 Children with Hemophagocytic Lymphohistiocytosis: A Four-Year Single-Center Experience from Egypt. Pediatr Hematol Oncol. 2020;38(3):194-207.
14. Nandhakumar D, Loganatha A, Sivasankaran M, Sivabalan S, Munirathnam D. Hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis in children. Indian J Pediatr. 2020;87(7):526-31.
15. Griffin G, Shenoi S, Hughes GC. Hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis: an update on pathogenesis, diagnosis, and therapy. Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol. 2020;34(4):101515.
|Issue||Vol 21 No 4 (2022)|
|Griscelli syndrome type 2 Hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis Primary immunodeficiency|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|