Study Effect of Azithromycin and Doxycycline in Mucus Producing and Inflammatory Signaling Pathways of Allergic Asthma
Effect of Azithromycin and Doxycycline in Allergic
Asthma is a respiratory disease; involving millions of people worldwide. The main cause of asthma is allergy and immune response dysregulation. The effects of azithromycin and doxycycline as asthma-controlling drugs were evaluated in this study.
Mice asthma model was produced and asthmatic mice were treated with azithromycin (75 mg/kg, orally) and doxycycline (20 mg/kg, orally). Eosinophils and neutrophils count, interleukin (IL)-4, IL-5, IL-12, IL-13, and total immunoglobulin E (IgE) levels were measured. Histological study and evaluating the genes expression of Muc5ac, Muc5b, IL-33, COX2, MYD88, and TRAF6 were performed.
Azithromycin and doxycycline did not affect eosinophil and neutrophil percentage, IL-4, IL-5, IL-12, and total IgE levels, peribronchial and perivascular inflammation, goblet cell hyperplasia, and gene expression of MYD88, TRAF6, and COX2. Treatment with azithromycin significantly decreased IL-13 level, mucus secretion, and gene expression of IL-33, Muc5ac, and Muc5b; compared to the non-treated asthma group.
Azithromycin administration controls mucus secretion and inflammation. Azithromycin therapy and not doxycycline might be an effective adjuvant option in asthma with reducing mucus in the airway.
2. Mehrabi Nasab E, Athari SM, Ghafarzade S, Mehrabi Nasab AR, Athari SS. Immunomodulatory effects of two silymarin isomers in a Balb/c mouse model of allergic asthma. Allergol Immunopathol. 2020;48(6):646-53.
3. Athari SS, Athari SM. The importance of eosinophil, platelet and dendritic cell in asthma. Asian Pac J Trop Dis. 2014;4(S1):S41-S47
4. Athari SS, Babaloo Z, Tehrani AA, Naderi MM, Aghamohammadi A, Khoshbakht R, et al. Anti-inflammatory effects of silymarin against damages caused by U.V. irradiation. Glob Vet. 2012;9(2):149-53.
5. Kang JY, Jo MR, Kang HH, Kim SK, Kim MS, Kim YH, et al. Long-term azithromycin ameliorates not only airway inflammation but also remodeling in a murine model of chronic asthma. Pulm Pharmacol Ther. 2016;36:37e45.
6. Lee KS, Jin SM, Kim SS, Lee YC. Doxycycline reduces airway inflammation and hyperresponsiveness in a murine model of toluene diisocyanate-induced asthma. J Aller clin Immunol. 2004;113(5):902-9.
7. Athari SS, Pourpak Z, Folkerts G, Garssen J, Moin M, Adcock IM, et al. Conjugated Alpha-Alumina nanoparticle with vasoactive intestinal peptide as a Nano-drug in treatment of allergic asthma in mice. Eur J Pharmacol. 2016;791:811-20.
8. Kuo CH, Lee MS, Kuo HF, Lin YC, Hung CH. Azithromycin suppresses Th1- and Th2-related chemokines IP-10/MDC in human monocytic cell line. J Microbiol Immunol Infect. 2019;52(6):872e879.
9. Gibson PG, Yang IA, Upham JW, Reynolds PN, Hodge S, James AL, et al. Effect of azithromycin on asthma exacerbations and quality of life in adults with persistent uncontrolled asthma (AMAZES): a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Lancet 2017;390(10095):659-68.
10. Mertens PS, Hiemstra C. Taube. Azithromycin differentially affects the IL-13-induced expression profile in human bronchial epithelial cells. Pulm Pharmacol Ther. 2016;39:14e20.
11. Kang JY, Jo MR, Kang HH, Kim SK, Kim MS, Kim YH, et al. Long-term azithromycin ameliorates not only airway inflammation but also remodeling in a murine model of chronic asthma. Pulm Pharmacol Ther. 2016;36:37e45.
12. Tiotiu A, Salvator H, Jaussaud R, Jankowski R, Couderc LJ, Catherinot E, et al. Efficacy of immunoglobulin replacement therapy and azithromycin in severe asthma with antibody deficiency. Allergol Int. 2020;69(2):215-22.
13. An L, Zhao J, Sun X, Zhou Y, Zhao Z. S-allylmercaptocysteine inhibits mucin overexpression and inflammation via MAPKs and PI3K-Akt signaling pathways in acute respiratory distress syndrome, Pharmaco Res. 2020;159:105032.
14. Gueders MM, Bertholet P, F Perin F, Rocks N, Maree R, Botta R, et al. A novel formulation of inhaled doxycycline reduces allergen induced inflammation, hyperresponsiveness and remodeling by matrix metalloproteinases and cytokines modulation in a mouse model of asthma. Biochem Pharmacol. 2008;75(2):514-26.
15. Lee KS, Jin SM, Kim SS, Lee YC. Doxycycline reduces airway inflammation and hyperresponsiveness in a murine model of toluene diisocyanateeinduced asthma. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2004;113(5):902-9.
16. Leemans J, Kirschvink N, Bernaerts F, Clercx C, Snaps F, Billen P. Gustin. Salmeterol or doxycycline do not inhibit acute bronchospasm and airway inflammation in cats with experimentally-induced asthma. Vet J. 2012;192(1):49-56.
17. Hami M, Naddaf SR, Mobedi I, Zare-Bidaki M, Athari SS, Hajimohammadi B, Anaraki-Mohammadi G. Prevalence of Linguatula serrata infection in domestic bovids slaughtered in Tabriz Abattoir, Iran. Iranian J Parasitol. 2009; 4(3):25-31
18. Haddadzadeh HR, Athari SS, Abedini R, Khazraii Nia S, Khazraii Nia P, Nabian S, Haji-Mohamadi B. One-Humped Camel (Camelus dromedarius) Infestation with Linguatula serrata in Tabriz, Iran. Iran J Arthropod Borne Dis. 2010; 4(1):54-9..
19. Smith-Norowitz AT, Weaver D, Norowitz YM, Hammerschlag MR, Joks HG. Durkin S. Doxycycline suppresses Chlamydia pneumoniae induced interferon-gamma responses in peripheral blood mononuclear cells in children with allergic asthma. J Infect Chemother 2018;24(6):470-5.
20. Blasi F, Johnston SL. The role of antibiotics in asthma. Int J Antimicrob Agents. 2007;29(5):485–93.
21. DiNicolantonio J, Barroso-Aranda MF. Azithromycin and glucosamine may amplify the type 1 interferon response to RNA viruses in a complementary fashion. Immunol Lett. 2020;228(8):83–5.
22. Herath M, Kim HJ, Lee LG, Je JG, Yu HS, Jeon YJ, Kim, Y. Agardh containing polyphenols attenuates particulate matter-induced inflammatory response by blocking TLR-mediated MYD88-dependent MAPK signaling pathway in MLE-12 cells. J Ethnopharmacol. 2021;265(12):113340.
|Issue||Vol 21 No 2 (2022)|
|Allergy and immunology Antibiotic prophylaxis Inflammation Signal transduction|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|