D-Pinitol Attenuated Ovalbumin-induced Allergic Rhinitis in Experimental Mice via Balancing Th1/Th2 Response
Allergic rhinitis (AR) is a complex, chronic immunoinflammatory disorder of the membrane lining of the nasal mucosa. D-Pinitol is considered a cyclic polyol with a potential effect against various allergies. In the present study, we evaluated the anti-allergic effect of pinitol on ovalbumin (OVA)-induced AR model in mice.
BALB/c mice were initially sensitized with an intraperitoneal injection of OVA and divided into 5 groups (n=18, in each group) for a treating schedule of distilled water (DW), montelukast (10 mg/kg), and pinitol (5, 10, and 20 mg/kg) through the mouth. Two saline-injected groups were considered as controls by orally administrating DW and pinitol 20. Thereafter, test and control groups were intranasally challenged by OVA and saline, respectively.
Our results showed that the OVA challenge caused a marked elevation in AR symptoms like nasal rubbing, sneezing, and discharge which were remarkably diminished using pinitol (10 and 20 mg/kg) and the results were comparable with montelukast. Additionally, increased levels of total and OVA-specific serum Immunoglobulin (Ig) E and IgG1 were significantly attenuated by pinitol as compared to the control group but not the montelukast group. In AR-induced mice, pinitol had significant modulatory effects on representative markers of Th2 (GATA binding protein 3), signal transducer and activator of transcription-6, Interleukins (IL)-4, IL-5, IL-13, suppressors of cytokine signaling 1, Toll-like receptor 4, and myeloid differentiation factor 88), and Type 1 T helper (Th1) immune responses (T-box protein expressed in T cells and Interferon-gamma) as well as the histopathological aberrations induced in the nasal mucosa.
In conclusion, Pinitol had potential effects on OVA-induced AR mice through amelioration of nasal symptoms and balancing the Th1/Th2 immune responses during the allergic rhinitis condition.
2. Passali D, Cingi C, Staffa P, Passali F, Muluk NB, Bellussi ML. The International Study of the Allergic Rhinitis Survey: outcomes from 4 geographical regions. Asia Pac Allergy. 2018;8(1):e7.
3. Ahmed MA. Comparative data review on prevalence, economic burden and epidemiology of Allergic rhinitis between the USA and India. J Evol Med Dent Sci. 2016;5(45):2840-3.
4. Hoyte FCL, Nelson HS. Recent advances in allergic rhinitis. F1000Res. 2018;7:F1000 Faculty Rev-333.
5. Brożek JL, Bousquet J, Baena-Cagnani CE, Bonini S, Canonica GW, Casale TB, et al. Allergic Rhinitis and its Impact on Asthma (ARIA) guidelines: 2010 revision. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2010;126(3):466-76.
6. Wang J, Kandhare A, Mukherjee-Kandhare A, Bodhankar S. Chrysin ameliorates ovalbumin-induced allergic response in allergic rhinitis: Potential role of GATA-3, T-box protein expressed in T cells, nuclear factor-kappa B, and nuclear factor erythroid 2-related factor 2. Phcog Mag. 2020;16(70):335-44.
7. Mandhane SN, Shah JH, Thennati R. Allergic rhinitis: an update on disease, present treatments and future prospects. Int Immunopharmacol. 2011;11(11):1646-62.
8. Kandhare AD, Bodhankar SL, Singh V, Mohan V, Thakurdesai PA. Anti-asthmatic effects of type-A procyanidine polyphenols from cinnamon bark in ovalbumin-induced airway hyperresponsiveness in laboratory animals. Biomed Aging Pathol. 2013;3(1):23-30.
9. Kandhare AD, Raygude KS, Ghosh P, Gosavi TP, Bodhankar SL. Patentability of Animal Models: India and the Globe. Int J Pharm Biol Arch. 2011;2(4):1024-32.
10. Aswar UM, Kandhare AD, Mohan V, Thakurdesai PA. Anti-allergic effect of intranasal administration of type-A procyanidin polyphenols based standardized extract of cinnamon bark in ovalbumin sensitized BALB/c mice. Phytother Res. 2015;29(3):423-33.
11. Kandhare AD, Liu Z, Mukherjee AA, Bodhankar SL. Therapeutic Potential of Morin in Ovalbumin-induced Allergic Asthma Via Modulation of SUMF2/IL-13 and BLT2/NF-kB Signaling Pathway. Curr Mol Pharmacol. 2019;12(2):122-38.
12. Liang K, Kandhare AD, Mukherjee-Kandhare AA, Bodhankar SL, Xu D. Morin ameliorates ovalbumin-induced allergic rhinitis via inhibition of STAT6/SOCS1 and GATA3/T-bet signaling pathway in BALB/c mice. J Funct Foods. 2019;55(11):391-401.
13. Mukherjee AA, Kandhare AD, Rojatkar SR, Bodhankar SL. Ameliorative effects of Artemisia pallens in a murine model of ovalbumin-induced allergic asthma via modulation of biochemical perturbations. Biomed Pharmacother. 2017;94:880-9.
14. Akei HS, Brandt EB, Mishra A, Strait RT, Finkelman FD, Warrier MR, et al. Epicutaneous aeroallergen exposure induces systemic TH2 immunity that predisposes to allergic nasal responses. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2006;118(1):62-9.
15. Chen B, Qu S, Li M, Ye L, Zhang S, Qin T, et al. Effects of 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 in an ovalbumin-induced allergic rhinitis model. Int Immunopharmacol. 2017;47(2):182-9.
16. Koh ES, Kim S, Kim M, Hong YA, Shin SJ, Park CW, et al. DPinitol alleviates cyclosporine Ainduced renal tubulointerstitial fibrosis via activating Sirt1 and Nrf2 antioxidant pathways. Int J Mol Med. 2018;41(4):1826-34.
17. Kang MJ, Kim JI, Yoon SY, Kim JC, Cha IJ. Pinitol from soybeans reduces postprandial blood glucose in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. J Med Food. 2006;9(2):182-6.
18. Sethi G, Ahn KS, Sung B, Aggarwal BB. Pinitol targets nuclear factor-kappaB activation pathway leading to inhibition of gene products associated with proliferation, apoptosis, invasion, and angiogenesis. Mol Cancer Ther. 2008;7(6):1604-14.
19. Lee JS, Lee CM, Jeong YI, Jung ID, Kim BH, Seong EY, et al. D-pinitol regulates Th1/Th2 balance via suppressing Th2 immune response in ovalbumin-induced asthma. FEBS Lett. 2007;581(1):57-64.
20. Lee E, Lim Y, Kwon SW, Kwon O. Pinitol consumption improves liver health status by reducing oxidative stress and fatty acid accumulation in subjects with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease: A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. J Nutr Biochem. 2019;68:33-41.
21. Bae CJ, Lee JW, Shim SB, Jee SW, Lee SH, Woo JM, et al. GATA binding protein 3 overexpression and suppression significantly contribute to the regulation of allergic skin inflammation. Int J Mol Med. 2011;28(2):171-9.
22. Zheng K, Zhao Z, Lin N, Wu Y, Xu Y, Zhang W. Protective Effect of Pinitol Against Inflammatory Mediators of Rheumatoid Arthritis via Inhibition of Protein Tyrosine Phosphatase Non-Receptor Type 22 (PTPN22). Med Sci Monit. 2017;23:1923-32.
23. Adil M, Kandhare AD, Dalvi G, Ghosh P, Venkata S, Raygude KS, et al. Ameliorative effect of berberine against gentamicin-induced nephrotoxicity in rats via attenuation of oxidative stress, inflammation, apoptosis and mitochondrial dysfunction. Ren Fail. 2016;38(6):996-1006.
24. Kandhare AD, Bodhankar SL, Mohan V, Thakurdesai PA. Prophylactic efficacy and possible mechanisms of oligosaccharides based standardized fenugreek seed extract on high-fat diet-induced insulin resistance in C57BL/6 mice. J App Pharm Sci. 2015;5(3):35-45.
25. Liu J, Han XC, Wang D, Kandhare AD, Mukherjee-Kandhare AA, Bodhankar SL, et al. Elucidation of Molecular Mechanism Involved in Nephroprotective Potential of Naringin in Ethylene Glycol-Induced Urolithiasis in Experimental Uninephrectomized Hypertensive Rats. Lat Am J Pharm. 2020;39(5):991-9.
26. Yao X, Li L, Kandhare AD, Mukherjee‑Kandhare AA, Bodhankar SL. Attenuation of reserpine‑induced fibromyalgia via ROS and serotonergic pathway modulation by fisetin, a plant flavonoid polyphenol. Exp Ther Med. 2020;19(2):1343-55.
27. Zhang K, Kandhare A, Mukherjee-Kandhare A, Bodhankar S. Apigenin attenuated ethylene glycol induced urolithiasis in uninephrectomized hypertensive rats: A possible role of bikunin, BMP-2/4, and osteopontin. Pharmacogn Mag. 2020;16(71):455-63.
28. Chen F, He D, Yan B. Apigenin Attenuates Allergic Responses of Ovalbumin-Induced Allergic Rhinitis Through Modulation of Th1/Th2 Responses in Experimental Mice. Dose Response. 2020;18(1):1559325820904799.
29. Kandhare AD, Aswar UM, Mohan V, Thakurdesai PA. Ameliorative effects of type-A procyanidins polyphenols from cinnamon bark in compound 48/80-induced mast cell degranulation. Anat Cell Biol. 2017;50(4):275-83.
30. Bloodworth MH, Newcomb DC, Dulek DE, Stier MT, Cephus JY, Zhang J, et al. STAT6 Signaling Attenuates Interleukin-17-Producing gammadelta T Cells during Acute Klebsiella pneumoniae Infection. Infect Immun. 2016;84(5):1548-55.
31. Das J, Chen CH, Yang L, Cohn L, Ray P, Ray A. A critical role for NF-kappa B in GATA3 expression and TH2 differentiation in allergic airway inflammation. Nat Immunol. 2001;2(1):45-50.
32. Zhang G, Kandhare AD, Mukherjee AA, Bodhankar SL, Yin H. Ameliorative effect of morin, a plant flavonoid against Freund's complete adjuvant-induced polyarthritis in rats. Pharmacogn Mag. 2019;15(60):43.
33. Mohod SM, Kandhare AD, Bodhankar SL. Gastroprotective potential of Pentahydroxy flavone isolated from Madhuca indica JF Gmel. leaves against acetic acid-induced ulcer in rats: The role of oxido-inflammatory and prostaglandins markers. J Ethnopharmacol. 2016;182:150-9.
34. Li LJ, Ma N, Zeng L, Mo LH, Li XX, Xu LZ, et al. Flagellin modulates IgE expression in B cells to initiate food allergy in mice. Am J Transl Res. 2016;8(6):2748-57.
35. Shao YY, Zhou YM, Hu M, Li JZ, Chen CJ, Wang YJ, et al. The Anti-Allergic Rhinitis Effect of Traditional Chinese Medicine of Shenqi by Regulating Mast Cell Degranulation and Th1/Th2 Cytokine Balance. Molecules. 2017;22(3):504-15.
36. Kim TH, Kim K, Park SJ, Lee SH, Hwang JW, Park SH, et al. Expression of SOCS1 and SOCS3 is altered in the nasal mucosa of patients with mild and moderate/severe persistent allergic rhinitis. Int Arch Allergy Immunol. 2012;158(4):387-96.
37. Kanhere A, Hertweck A, Bhatia U, Gokmen MR, Perucha E, Jackson I, et al. T-bet and GATA3 orchestrate Th1 and Th2 differentiation through lineage-specific targeting of distal regulatory elements. Nat Commun. 2012;3:1268.
38. Mlcek J, Jurikova T, Skrovankova S, Sochor J. Quercetin and Its Anti-Allergic Immune Response. Molecules. 2016;21(5):623-38.
39. Adil M, Kandhare AD, Ghosh P, Venkata S, Raygude KS, Bodhankar SL. Ameliorative effect of naringin in acetaminophen-induced hepatic and renal toxicity in laboratory rats: role of FXR and KIM-1. Ren Fail. 2016;38(6):1007-20.
40. Matsuyama M, Ishii Y, Yageta Y, Ohtsuka S, Ano S, Matsuno Y, et al. Role of Th1/Th17 balance regulated by T-bet in a mouse model of Mycobacterium avium complex disease. J Immunol. 2014;192(4):1707-17.
41. Zhao L, Kandhare AD, Mukherjee AA, Bodhankar SL. Anti-allergic potential of fisetin in a murine model of OVA-induced allergic rhinitis via inhibition of GATA-3 and Th2 cytokines. Biomedica. 2018;34(2):88-101.
42. Kandhare AD, Alam J, Patil MV, Sinha A, Bodhankar SL. Wound healing potential of naringin ointment formulation via regulating the expression of inflammatory, apoptotic and growth mediators in experimental rats. Pharm Biol. 2016;54(3):419-32.
43. Shaoqing Y, Yinjian C, Zhiqiang Y, Ruxin Z, Na C, Rongming G. The levels of CD4+CD25+ regulatory T cells in patients with allergic rhinitis. Allergol Select. 2018;2(1):144-50.
44. Xu H, Shu H, Zhu J, Song J. Inhibition of TLR4 inhibits allergic responses in murine allergic rhinitis by regulating the NF-kappaB pathway. Exp Ther Med. 2019;18(1):761-8.
45. Kandhare AD, Ghosh P, Bodhankar SL. Naringin, a flavanone glycoside, promotes angiogenesis and inhibits endothelial apoptosis through modulation of inflammatory and growth factor expression in diabetic foot ulcer in rats. Chem-Biol Interact. 2014;219:101-12.
46. Kandhare AD, Raygude KS, Ghosh P, Ghule AE, Bodhankar SL. Neuroprotective effect of naringin by modulation of endogenous biomarkers in streptozotocin induced painful diabetic neuropathy. Fitoterapia. 2012;83(4):650-9.
47. Matsushita K, Yoshimoto T. B cell-intrinsic MyD88 signaling is essential for IgE responses in lungs exposed to pollen allergens. J Immunol. 2014;193(12):5791-800.
48. Kandhare AD, Bodhankar SL, Mohan V, Thakurdesai PA. Effect of glycosides based standardized fenugreek seed extract in bleomycin-induced pulmonary fibrosis in rats: Decisive role of Bax, Nrf2, NF-κB, Muc5ac, TNF-α and IL-1β. Chem-Biol Interact. 2015;237:151-65.
49. Kandhare AD, Bodhankar SL, Mohan V, Thakurdesai PA. Glycosides Based Standardized Fenugreek Seed Extract Ameliorates Bleomycin-induced Liver Fibrosis in Rats Via Modulation of Endogenous Enzymes. J Pharm Bioallied Sci. 2017;9(3):185-94.
50. Zhou Z, Kandhare AD, Kandhare AA, Bodhankar SL. Hesperidin ameliorates bleomycin-induced experimental pulmonary fibrosis via inhibition of TGF-β1/Smad3/AMPK and IκBα/NF-κB pathways. EXCLI Journal. 2019;18(8):723-45.
|Issue||Vol 20 No 6 (2021)|
|Allergic rhinitis GATA3 protein Ovalbumin Pinitol|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|