MicroRNAs as the Important Regulators of T Helper 17 Cells: A Narrative Review
T helper (Th)-17 cells are a distinct and important subset of Th cells and their functions are due to the ability of production and secretion of key cytokines in the immune system such as interleukin (IL)-17, IL-22, IL-21, and tumor necrosis factor-α (TNF-α). According to these cytokines, these cells have vital roles in the pathogenesis of the disease such as rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and osteoarthritis (OA). Nowadays, microRNAs (miRNAs) are defined as essential regulators of cell function by targeting transcription factors and other elements that act in cells to control gene expression. The purpose of this study was to detect and investigate articles evaluating the function of miRNA in Th-17 cell performance. The language was restricted to English and the search was done in PubMed, Web of Science and Embase. In this review, we first explain the role of effective factors in the function of Th17 lymphocytes, and then, we summarize the performance of several miRNAs involved in the activation and appropriate functions of Th17 cells in the immune system.
2. Grayson MH. Translational Immunology: Mechanisms and Pharmacologic Approaches: Elsevier; 2016. 479 p.
3. Bhaumik S, Basu R. Cellular and Molecular Dynamics of Th17 Differentiation and its Developmental Plasticity in the Intestinal Immune Response. Front Immunol. 2017;8:254.
4. Reiko Seki KN. Factors regulating Th17 cells: a review Biomedical Research and Clinical Practice. 2018;1(4):21.
5. Dehnavi S, Azad FJ, Hoseini RF, Moazzen N, Tavakkol-Afshari J, Nikpoor AR, et al. A significant decrease in the gene expression of interleukin-17 following the administration of synbiotic in patients with allergic rhinitis who underwent immunotherapy: A placebo-controlled clinical trial. J Res Med Sci. 2019;24:51.
6. Ariaee N, Ghorbani J, Panahi M, Mohamadi M, Asili J, Ranjbar A, et al. Oral Administration of Zataria multiflora Extract Decreases IL-17 Expression in Perennial Allergic Rhinitis. Rep Biochem Mol Biol. 2018;6(2):203-7.
7. Ahmadi M, Yousefi M, Abbaspour-Aghdam S, Dolati S, Aghebati-Maleki L, Eghbal-Fard S, et al. Disturbed Th17/Treg balance, cytokines, and miRNAs in peripheral blood of patients with Behcet's disease. J Cell Physiol. 2019;234(4):3985-94.
8. Salmani A, Mohammadi M, Farid Hosseini R, Tavakol Afshari J, Fouladvand A, Dehnavi S, et al. A significant increase in expression of FOXP3 and IL-17 genes in patients with allergic rhinitis underwent accelerated rush immunotherapy. Iran J Basic Med Sci. 2019;22(9):989-96.
9. Sandquist I, Kolls J. Update on regulation and effector functions of Th17 cells. F1000Res. 2018;7:205.
10. Seyedmirzaee S, Hayatbakhsh MM, Ahmadi B, Baniasadi N, Bagheri Rafsanjani AM, Nikpoor AR, et al. Serum immune biomarkers in irritable bowel syndrome. Clin Res Hepatol Gastroenterol. 2016;40(5):631-7.
11. Mohammadi M, Gozashti MH, Aghadavood M, Mehdizadeh MR, Hayatbakhsh MM. Clinical Significance of Serum IL-6 and TNF-alpha Levels in Patients with Metabolic Syndrome. Rep Biochem Mol Biol. 2017;6(1):74-9.
12. Soleimani r, Mohammadi M, Saghebi SA, Taghipour A, Khorsand Vakilzadeh A, Tavakkol Afshari J. Comparison of Th1/Th2 and Treg/Th17 ratios between wet and dry cupping therapies in Persian medicine. Avicenna Journal of Phytomedicine. 2019;10(1):24-34.
13. Mohammadi M, Zahedi MJ, Nikpoor AR, Baneshi MR, Hayatbakhsh MM. Interleukin-17 serum levels and TLR4 polymorphisms in ulcerative colitis. Iran J Immunol. 2013;10(2):83-92.
14. Liu R, Ma X, Chen L, Yang Y, Zeng Y, Gao J, et al. MicroRNA-15b Suppresses Th17 Differentiation and Is Associated with Pathogenesis of Multiple Sclerosis by Targeting O-GlcNAc Transferase. J Immunol. 2017;198(7):2626-39.
15. P LA, Ahadi A, Zare A, Tarighi S, Zaheri M, Souri M, et al. Up-Regulation of miR-21, miR-25, miR-93, and miR-106b in Gastric Cancer. Iran Biomed J. 2018;22(6):367-73.
16. Badalzadeh M, Mazinani M, Pourpak Z, Heidarnazhad H, Mortaz E, Moin M, et al. In Vitro Analysis of Nine MicroRNAs in CD8+ T Cells of Asthmatic Patients and the Effects of Two FDA-approved Drugs2019. 358-68 p.
17. Ma L, Xue HB, Wang F, Shu CM, Zhang JH. MicroRNA-155 may be involved in the pathogenesis of atopic dermatitis by modulating the differentiation and function of T helper type 17 (Th17) cells. Clin Exp Immunol. 2015;181(1):142-9.
18. Merkenschlager M. Jarid2 links MicroRNA and chromatin in Th17 cells. Immunity. 2014;40(6):855-6.
19. Afshar S, Afshar S, Warden E, Manochehri H, Saidijam M. Application of Artificial Neural Network in miRNA Biomarker Selection and Precise Diagnosis of Colorectal Cancer. Iran Biomed J. 2019;23(3):175-83.
20. Sahranavardfard P, Firouzi J, Azimi M, Khosravani P, Heydari R, Emami Razavi A, et al. MicroRNA-203 reinforces stemness properties in melanoma and augments tumorigenesis in vivo. J Cell Physiol. 2019.
21. Hashemi M E-NE, Zakeri Z, Atabaki M, Bahari G, Jahantigh M, Taheri M, Ghavami S. Association of pre-miRNA-146a rs2910164 and pre‑miRNA-499 rs3746444 polymorphisms and susceptibility to rheumatoid arthritis. Mol Med Report. 2013;7(1):287-91.
22. Yan L, Hu F, Yan X, Wei Y, Ma W, Wang Y, et al. Inhibition of microRNA-155 ameliorates experimental autoimmune myocarditis by modulating Th17/Treg immune response. J Mol Med (Berl). 2016;94(9):1063-79.
23. Hu R, Huffaker TB, Kagele DA, Runtsch MC, Bake E, Chaudhuri AA, et al. MicroRNA-155 confers encephalogenic potential to Th17 cells by promoting effector gene expression. J Immunol. 2013;190(12):5972-80.
24. Krebs CF, Kapffer S, Paust HJ, Schmidt T, Bennstein SB, Peters A, et al. MicroRNA-155 drives TH17 immune response and tissue injury in experimental crescentic GN. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2013;24(12):1955-65.
25. Zhang Y, Wang ZC, Zhang ZS, Chen F. MicroRNA-155 regulates cervical cancer via inducing Th17/Treg imbalance. Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci. 2018;22(12):3719-26.
26. Yao R, Ma Y, Du Y, Liao M, Li H, Liang W, et al. The altered expression of inflammation-related microRNAs with microRNA-155 expression correlates with Th17 differentiation in patients with acute coronary syndrome. Cell Mol Immunol. 2011;8(6):486-95.
27. Yao R, Ma YL, Liang W, Li HH, Ma ZJ, Yu X, et al. MicroRNA-155 modulates Treg and Th17 cells differentiation and Th17 cell function by targeting SOCS1. PLoS One. 2012;7(10):e46082.
28. Wang D, Tang M, Zong P, Liu H, Zhang T, Liu Y, et al. MiRNA-155 Regulates the Th17/Treg Ratio by Targeting SOCS1 in Severe Acute Pancreatitis. Front Physiol. 2018;9:686.
29. Yi J, Wang D, Niu X, Hu J, Zhou Y, Li Z. MicroRNA-155 Deficiency Suppresses Th17 Cell Differentiation and Improves Locomotor Recovery after Spinal Cord Injury. Scand J Immunol. 2015;81(5):284-90.
30. Zhang A, Wang K, Zhou C, Gan Z, Ma D, Ye P, et al. Knockout of microRNA-155 ameliorates the Th1/Th17 immune response and tissue injury in chronic rejection. J Heart Lung Transplant. 2017;36(2):175-84.
31. Bluml S, Bonelli M, Niederreiter B, Puchner A, Mayr G, Hayer S, et al. Essential role of microRNA-155 in the pathogenesis of autoimmune arthritis in mice. Arthritis Rheum. 2011;63(5):1281-8.
32. Yin Z, He W, Chen X, Luo X, Zhang Y, Ye Z. AB0037 Mir-155 promotes the differentiation of th17 cell by targeting ets-1 in rheumatoid arthritis. Ann Rheum Dis. 2018;77(Suppl 2):1219-.
33. Testa U, Pelosi E, Castelli G, Labbaye C. miR-146 and miR-155: Two Key Modulators of Immune Response and Tumor Development. Noncoding RNA. 2017;3(3).
34. Chen C, Zhou Y, Wang J, Yan Y, Peng L, Qiu W. Dysregulated MicroRNA Involvement in Multiple Sclerosis by Induction of T Helper 17 Cell Differentiation. Front Immunol. 2018;9:1256.
35. Hsu YR, Chang SW, Lin YC, Yang CH. MicroRNA-146a Alleviates Experimental Autoimmune Anterior Uveitis in the Eyes of Lewis Rats. Mediators Inflamm. 2017;2017:9601349.
36. Li B, Wang X, Choi IY, Wang YC, Liu S, Pham AT, et al. miR-146a modulates autoreactive Th17 cell differentiation and regulates organ-specific autoimmunity. J Clin Invest. 2017;127(10):3702-16.
37. Sido JM, Jackson AR, Nagarkatti PS, Nagarkatti M. Marijuana-derived Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol suppresses Th1/Th17 cell-mediated delayed-type hypersensitivity through microRNA regulation. J Mol Med (Berl). 2016;94(9):1039-51.
38. Murugaiyan G, da Cunha AP, Ajay AK, Joller N, Garo LP, Kumaradevan S, et al. MicroRNA-21 promotes Th17 differentiation and mediates experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis. J Clin Invest. 2015;125(3):1069-80.
39. Yao SX, Zhang GS, Cao HX, Song G, Li ZT, Zhang WT. Correlation between microRNA-21 and expression of Th17 and Treg cells in microenvironment of rats with hepatocellular carcinoma. Asian Pac J Trop Med. 2015;8(9):762-5.
40. Wu Y, Song Y, Xiong Y, Wang X, Xu K, Han B, et al. MicroRNA-21 (Mir-21) Promotes Cell Growth and Invasion by Repressing Tumor Suppressor PTEN in Colorectal Cancer. Cell Physiol Biochem. 2017;43(3):945-58.
41. Kim HS, Jang SW, Lee W, Kim K, Sohn H, Hwang SS, et al. PTEN drives Th17 cell differentiation by preventing IL-2 production. J Exp Med. 2017;214(11):3381-98.
42. Dong L, Wang X, Tan J, Li H, Qian W, Chen J, et al. Decreased expression of microRNA-21 correlates with the imbalance of Th17 and Treg cells in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. J Cell Mol Med. 2014;18(11):2213-24.
43. Raphael I, McGeachy MJ. STAT3 regulation of effector Th17 cells and its implications for treatment of autoimmunity. The Journal of Immunology. 2018;200(1 Supplement):121.5-.5.
44. Wang H, Flach H, Onizawa M, Wei L, McManus MT, Weiss A. Negative regulation of Hif1a expression and TH17 differentiation by the hypoxia-regulated microRNA miR-210. Nat Immunol. 2014;15(4):393-401.
45. Wu R, Zeng J, Yuan J, Deng X, Huang Y, Chen L, et al. MicroRNA-210 overexpression promotes psoriasis-like inflammation by inducing Th1 and Th17 cell differentiation. J Clin Invest. 2018;128(6):2551-68.
46. Liu Q, Gao Q, Zhang Y, Li Z, Mei X. MicroRNA-590 promotes pathogenic Th17 cell differentiation through targeting Tob1 and is associated with multiple sclerosis. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;493(2):901-8.
47. Liu L, Liu Y, Yuan M, Xu L, Sun H. Elevated expression of microRNA-873 facilitates Th17 differentiation by targeting forkhead box O1 (Foxo1) in the pathogenesis of systemic lupus erythematosus. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;492(3):453-60.
48. Tang X, Yin K, Zhu H, Tian J, Shen D, Yi L, et al. Correlation Between the Expression of MicroRNA-301a-3p and the Proportion of Th17 Cells in Patients with Rheumatoid Arthritis. Inflammation. 2016;39(2):759-67.
49. Mycko MP, Cichalewska M, Machlanska A, Cwiklinska H, Mariasiewicz M, Selmaj KW. MicroRNA-301a regulation of a T-helper 17 immune response controls autoimmune demyelination. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109(20):E1248-57.
50. Yang X, He Q, Guo Z, Xiong F, Li Y, Pan Y, et al. MicroRNA-425 facilitates pathogenic Th17 cell differentiation by targeting forkhead box O1 (Foxo1) and is associated with inflammatory bowel disease. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2018;496(2):352-8.
51. Zhang Z, Xue Z, Liu Y, Liu H, Guo X, Li Y, et al. MicroRNA-181c promotes Th17 cell differentiation and mediates experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis. Brain Behav Immun. 2018;70:305-14.
52. Tang X, Tian X, Zhang Y, Wu W, Tian J, Rui K, et al. Correlation between the frequency of Th17 cell and the expression of microRNA-206 in patients with dermatomyositis. Clin Dev Immunol. 2013;2013:345347.
53. Zhang Y, Wang X, Zhong M, Zhang M, Suo Q, Lv K. MicroRNA let-7a ameliorates con A-induced hepatitis by inhibiting IL-6-dependent Th17 cell differentiation. J Clin Immunol. 2013;33(3):630-9.
54. Wang J, Zheng S, Xin N, Dou C, Fu L, Zhang X, et al. Identification of novel MicroRNA signatures linked to experimental autoimmune myasthenia gravis pathogenesis: down-regulated miR-145 promotes pathogenetic Th17 cell response. J Neuroimmune Pharmacol. 2013;8(5):1287-302.
55. Hashemi M, Atabaki M, Daneshvar H, Zakeri Z, Eskandari-Nasab E. Association of PTPN22 rs2476601 and EGFR rs17337023 Gene polymorphisms and rheumatoid arthritis in Zahedan, Southeast Iran. Int J Immunogenet. 2013;40(4):299-305.
56. Wu R, He Q, Chen H, Xu M, Zhao N, Xiao Y, et al. MicroRNA-448 promotes multiple sclerosis development through induction of Th17 response through targeting protein tyrosine phosphatase non-receptor type 2 (PTPN2). Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;486(3):759-66.
57. Wu YH, Liu W, Xue B, Zhang L, Liu XY, Liu B, et al. Upregulated Expression of microRNA-16 Correlates with Th17/Treg Cell Imbalance in Patients with Rheumatoid Arthritis. DNA Cell Biol. 2016;35(12):853-60.
58. Ifergan I, Chen S, Zhang B, Miller SD. Cutting Edge: MicroRNA-223 Regulates Myeloid Dendritic Cell-Driven Th17 Responses in Experimental Autoimmune Encephalomyelitis. J Immunol. 2016;196(4):1455-9.
59. Singh NP, Singh UP, Rouse M, Zhang J, Chatterjee S, Nagarkatti PS, et al. Dietary Indoles Suppress Delayed-Type Hypersensitivity by Inducing a Switch from Proinflammatory Th17 Cells to Anti-Inflammatory Regulatory T Cells through Regulation of MicroRNA. J Immunol. 2016;196(3):1108-22.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.