A Case of Shield Ulcer Due to Vernal Keratoconjunctivitis
Corneal shield ulcer is an uncommon but serious complication of vernal keratoconjunctivitis (VKC) that can threaten visual acuity. We present a 12-year-old case with a corneal shield ulcer on the superior part of the cornea in the right eye. We learned from his history that he was treated with topical cyclosporine A (CsA) and corneal debridement was performed for the same complaints six months ago. His complaints recurred six months after ceasing topical CsA voluntarily. Topical anti-allergic and CsA treatments were commenced, we also performed corneal debridement. During his follow-ups, the corneal ulcer healed leaving a scar as opacity and neovascularization. This case highlights the role of the anti-inflammatory effect of CsA in preventing the recurrence of shield ulcers.
2. Kumar S. “Vernal keratoconjunctivitis: A major review”. Acta Ophthalmologica. 2009;87(2):133-47.
3. Xu K, Jhanji V. Answer: Can you identify this condition? Vernal keratoconjunctivitis with shield ulcers. Can Fam Physician. 2012;58(5):540-2.
4. Solomon A. Corneal complications of vernal keratoconjunctivitis. Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol. 2015;15:489-94.
5. Trocme SD, Kephart GM, Bourne WM, Buckley RJ, Gleich GJ. Eosinophil granule majör basic protein deposition in corneal ulcers associated with vernal keratoconjunctivitis. Am J Ophthalmol. 1993;115(5):640-3.
6. Cameron JA. Shield ulcers and plaques of the cornea in vernal keratoconjunctivitis. Ophthalmology. 1995;102(6):985-93.
7. Chatterjee A, Bandyopadhyay S, Bandyopadhyay SK. Efficacy, safety and steroid-sparing effect of topical cyclosporine A 0.05% for vernal keratoconjunctivitis in Indian children. J Ophthalmic Vis Res. 2019;14(4): 412-8.
8. Nebbioso M, Alisi, Giovannetti F, Armentano M, Lambiase A. Eye drop emulsion containing 0.1% cyclosporin (1 mg/mL) for the treatment of severe vernal keratoconjunctivitis: an evidence-based review and place in therapy. Clin Ophthalmol. 2019; 13: 1147-55.
9. Cetinkaya A, Akova YA, Dursun D, Pelit A. Topical cyclosporine in the management of shield ulcers. Cornea. 2004;23(2):194-200.
10. Westland T, Patryn EK, Nieuwendaal CP, van der Meulen IJE, Mourits MP, Lapid-Gortzak R. Vernal shield ulcers treated with frequently installed topical cyclosporine 0.05% eyedrops.Int Ophthalmol. 2018;38(1):363-8.
11. Ozbek Z, Burakgazi AZ, Rapuano CJ. Rapid healing of vernal shield ulcer after surgical debridement. Cornea. 2006; 25(4):472-3.
12. Solomon A, Zamir E, Levartovsky S, Frucht-Pery J. Surgical management of corneal plaques in vernal keratoconjunctivitis: A clinicopathologic study. Cornea. 2004;23(6):608-12.
|Issue||Vol 20 No 4 (2021)|
|Cyclosporine Vernal keratoconjunctivitis|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|