Iranian Society of Asthma and Allergy Codes of Professional Ethics
The advances in science and technology in recent decades, especially in medical sciences, have raised new ethical challenges. Hence, professional organizations in the field of medical science are trying to develop regulations in the field of medical ethics to help medical science professionals in making the best decisions in different circumstances and moral dilemmas. The organizations also try to monitor their performance using those regulations. On the other hand, due to the specialization of medical science as well as the complexity of communication between these disciplines, there is a growing need for regulations to answer questions and resolve the challenges of each discipline. Certainly, scientific societies, due to benefit from relevant specialists, are the best reference for the development of specialized guidelines, one of which is the Iranian Society of Asthma and Allergy (ISAA). The aim of the current study was to develop codes of ethics for ISAA members, using a qualitative study. Generally, the ISAA codes of professional ethics consists of general and specific sections. In order to compile the general section, the upstream medical documents, including the patients' rights charter in Iran, the research ethics guidelines approved by the Ministry of Health and Medical Education (MOHME), ethical codes from the international societies of asthma and allergy, the general codes of professional ethics of the Iran Medical Council and the Islamic jurisprudential rules and the statute law of the country were used. To develop specific sections, we interviewed the experts in the field of Asthma and Allergy about the ethical challenges they had ever faced with. The ISAA codes of professional ethics developed in five chapters, entitled "Ethical Guidelines for the Mangers and Director of the Society, General Guidelines, Specific Guidelines, Ethical Guidelines for Research and Education, and Procedure for Supervision on the Professional Behavior of the ISAA Members", and approved by the board of directors of ISAA.
2. Code of practice for the clinical assessment of licensed medicinal products in general practice. Br Med J. 1983;286(6373):1295-7.
3. Dugas R. Nursing and genetics: applying the American Nurses Association's Code of Ethics. J Prof Nur.2005;21(2):103-13.
4. Riddick FA, Jr. The Code of Medical Ethics of the American Medical Association. Ochsner J. 2003. Spring;5(2):6-10.
5. BMA code of conduct and resolution process. British Medical Association; 2018.
6. Dörries A, Krones T, Espesson B, Scadding G, Tsilochristou O, Skevaki C, et al. Code of Ethics of The European Academy of Allergy and Clinical Immunology (EAACI). Zurich, Switzerland: EAACI; 2019.
7. Code of Ethics of the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology, Inc. 1998.
8. Kling S, Pead F. Ethics and allergy. Curr Allergy Clin Immunol. 2004;17(3):131.
9. Annas GJ. The rights of patients: the authoritative ACLU guide to the rights of patients: NYU Press; 2004.
10. Wise RA. Ethical issues confronted in pulmonary clinical trials. Proceedings of the American Thoracic Society. 2007;4(2):200-5.
11. Scherer DG, Annett RD, Brody JL. Ethical issues in adolescent and parent informed consent for pediatric asthma research participation. J Asthma. 2007;44(7):489-96.
12. Nickels AS, Tilburt JC. Uncertainty and the ethics of allergy care. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2015;114(1):3-5.
13. Iranian Society of Asthma and Allergy. About us. Tehran: ISAA; 1996.
14. Parsapoor A, Bagheri A, Larijani B. Patient's rights charter in Iran. ActamedicaIranica. 2014;52(1):24-8.
15. Iran National Committee for Ethics in Biomedical Research. General Ethics Guideline in Medical Sciences Research in the Islamic Republic of Iran. Tehran: Iran National Committee for Ethics in Biomedical Research; 2013.
16. Medical Council of Iran. General Codes of Professional Ethics of the Medical Council of Iran. Tehran: Medical Council of Iran; 2013.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.