A Rare Case with Quail Egg Allergy without Allergic Reactions to Oral Food Challenge with Hen’s Egg White
Hen’s egg, as one of the most common reasons for IgE-mediated food hypersensitivity, affects both children and adults. Taking precautionary measures is suggested for the consumption of other birds’ eggs for patients with allergy to hen’s egg. This paper describes a rare patient with quail egg allergy, which manifested no allergic reactions after oral food challenge with hen’s egg white.
2. Nwaru BI, Hickstein L, Panesar SS, Roberts G, Muraro A, Sheikh A. Prevalence of common food allergies in Europe: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Allergy. 2014;69(8):992-1007.
3. Tan JW, Joshi P. Egg allergy: an update. J Paediatr Child Health. 2014;50(1):11-5.
4. Caro Contreras FJ, Giner Munoz MT, Martin Mateos MA, Plaza Martin AM, et al. Allergy to quail's egg without allergy to chicken's egg. case report. Allergol Immunopathol (Madr). 2008;36(4):234-7.
5. Micozzi S, Bartolome B, Sanchis-Merino ME, Alfaya T, Aldunate T, Diaz M, et al. Hypersensitivity to Quail Egg Proteins: What About Hen Egg? J Investig Allergol Clin Immunol. 2016;26(5):316-8.
6. Jones M, Skidmore A, Glozier N, Welch J, Hunter AS, Cullinan P. Occupational egg allergy in an embryological research facility. Occup Med (Lond). 2013;63(5):348-53.
7. Niggemann B. When is an oral food challenge positive? Allergy. 2010;65(1):2-6.
8. Feeney RE, Means GE, Bigler JC. Inhibition of human trypsin, plasmin, and thrombin by naturally occurring inhibitors of proteolytic enzymes. J Biol Chem. 1969;244(8):1957-60.
9. Lianto P, Han S, Li X, Ogutu FO, Zhang Y, Fan Z, et al. Quail egg homogenate alleviates food allergy induced eosinophilic esophagitis like disease through modulating PAR-2 transduction pathway in peanut sensitized mice. Sci Rep. 2018;8(1):1049.
10. Melsens P, Waterloo BE, Jean L, Saint-JUnien FR. Anti-inflammatory composition for modulating the cell response of neutrophils and eosinophils. United States Patent, US2015/0057232 A1. 2015.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.