Determining Laboratory Reference Values of TREC and KREC in Different Age Groups of Iranian Healthy Individuals
Assessment of the number of T-cell receptor excision circles (TREC) and kappa-deleting recombination excision circles (KREC) copies has been recently described as biomarkers of newly formed T and B cells respectively. In this study, we aimed to explore the effects of demographic variables including age, gender, weight, height and ethnicity on these two episomal DNA molecules. Second, for the first time in our country, we determined the reference values of TREC and KREC copy numbers in different age groups of Iranian healthy individuals as a threshold for identifying T cell and B cell lymphopenia. The TREC and KREC copy numbers were evaluated in 251 dried blood spot (DBS) samples from healthy volunteers (age range: 0-60 years). Six primary immunodeficiency (PID) patients were included as disease controls. TREC and KREC copies were markedly reduced with increasing age. Although the levels of TREC and KREC were higher in females than males, this difference did not reach statistical significance. These findings suggest that demographic variables including age should be considered for interpretation results of the TREC/KREC assay.
2. Barbaro M, Ohlsson A, Borte S, Jonsson S, Zetterstrom RH, King J, et al. Newborn Screening for Severe Primary Immunodeficiency Diseases in Sweden-a 2-Year Pilot TREC and KREC Screening Study. Journal of clinical immunology. 2017;37(1):51-60.
4. Shrivastava A, Gupta A, Gupta A, Shrivastava J. Unusual presentation of intussusception of the small bowel with peutz jeghers syndrome: report of a case. Journal of clinical and diagnostic research : JCDR. 2013;7(10):2296-7.
5. Quiros-Roldan E, Serana F, Chiarini M, Zanotti C, Sottini A, Gotti D, et al. Effects of combined antiretroviral therapy on B- and T-cell release from production sites in long-term treated HIV-1+ patients. Journal of translational medicine. 2012;10:94.
6. de Felipe B, Olbrich P, Lucenas JM, Delgado-Pecellin C, Pavon-Delgado A, Marquez J, et al. Prospective neonatal screening for severe T- and B-lymphocyte deficiencies in Seville. Pediatric allergy and immunology : official publication of the European Society of Pediatric Allergy and Immunology. 2016;27(1):70-7.
7. Van Zelm M, Van Der Burg M, Langerak A, Van Dongen J. PID Comes Full Circle: Applications of V(D)J Recombination Excision Circles in Research, Diagnostics and Newborn Screening of Primary Immunodeficiency Disorders. Frontiers in Immunology. 2011;2(12).
8. Borte S, von Dobeln U, Fasth A, Wang N, Janzi M, Winiarski J, et al. Neonatal screening for severe primary immunodeficiency diseases using high-throughput triplex real-time PCR. Blood. 2012;119(11):2552-5.
9. Claustres M, Kozich V, Dequeker E, Fowler B, Hehir-Kwa JY, Miller K, et al. Recommendations for reporting results of diagnostic genetic testing (biochemical, cytogenetic and molecular genetic). European journal of human genetics : EJHG. 2014;22(2):160-70.
10. Filali-Ansary A, Auge C, Abgrall A, Souchaud M, Pellissier F, Mordt OV, et al. A DBS method for quantitation of the new oral trypanocidal drug fexinidazole and its active metabolites. Bioanalysis. 2016;8(19):2045-63.
11. Sottini A, Serana F, Bertoli D, Chiarini M, Valotti M, Vaglio Tessitore M, et al. Simultaneous quantification of T-cell receptor excision circles (TRECs) and K-deleting recombination excision circles (KRECs) by real-time PCR. Journal of visualized experiments : JoVE. 2014(94).
12. Lamyaa Salem HAT, Salwa Bakr, Afaf A. Mostafa, Nesrine A Mohamed. Simultaneous Quantification of T-Cell Receptor Excision Circles (TRECs) and K-Deleting Recombination Excision Circles (KRECs) by Real-time PCR. International Journal of Advanced Research. 2016;4(4): 1251-8.
14. Yoshida K, Nakashima E, Kubo Y, Yamaoka M, Kajimura J, Kyoizumi S, et al. Inverse associations between obesity indicators and thymic T-cell production levels in aging atomic-bomb survivors. PloS one. 2014;9(3):e91985.
17. Giefing-Kroll C, Berger P, Lepperdinger G, Grubeck-Loebenstein B. How sex and age affect immune responses, susceptibility to infections, and response to vaccination. Aging cell. 2015;14(3):309-21.
18. van der Spek J, Groenwold RH, van der Burg M, van Montfrans JM. TREC Based Newborn Screening for Severe Combined Immunodeficiency Disease: A Systematic Review. Journal of clinical immunology. 2015;35(4):416-30.
20. Jilkina O, Thompson JR, Kwan L, Van Caeseele P, Rockman-Greenberg C, Schroeder ML. Retrospective TREC testing of newborns with Severe Combined Immunodeficiency and other primary immunodeficiency diseases. Molecular genetics and metabolism reports. 2014;1:324-33.
21. Raqib R, Alam DS, Sarker P, Ahmad SM, Ara G, Yunus M, et al. Low birth weight is associated with altered immune function in rural Bangladeshi children: a birth cohort study. The American journal of clinical nutrition. 2007;85(3):845-52.
23. Geenen V, Poulin JF, Dion ML, Martens H, Castermans E, Hansenne I, et al. Quantification of T cell receptor rearrangement excision circles to estimate thymic function: an important new tool for endocrine-immune physiology. The Journal of endocrinology. 2003;176(3):305-11.
26. Serana F, Airo P, Chiarini M, Zanotti C, Scarsi M, Frassi M, et al. Thymic and bone marrow output in patients with common variable immunodeficiency. Journal of clinical immunology. 2011;31(4):540-9.
28. Serana F, Chiarini M, Zanotti C, Sottini A, Bertoli D, Bosio A, et al. Use of V(D)J recombination excision circles to identify T- and B-cell defects and to monitor the treatment in primary and acquired immunodeficiencies. Journal of translational medicine. 2013;11:119.
29. Chen X, Barfield R, Benaim E, Leung W, Knowles J, Lawrence D, et al. Prediction of T-cell reconstitution by assessment of T-cell receptor excision circle before allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation in pediatric patients. Blood. 2005;105(2):886-93.
30. Puck JM. Laboratory technology for population-based screening for severe combined immunodeficiency in neonates: the winner is T-cell receptor excision circles. The Journal of allergy and clinical immunology. 2012;129(3):607-16.
|Issue||Vol 18, No 2 (2019)|
|Immunodeficiency Kappa-deleting recombination excision circles Reference value T-cell receptor excision circles|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|