Expression of TNF- and HNRNPL-related Immunoregulatory Long Non-coding RNA (THRIL) in Acute Myeloid Leukemia: Is There Any Correlation?
Recently, Long noncoding RNAs (lncRNAs) have been described as regulatory factors for several biological mechanisms through regulating the gene expression. Among them the TNF and HNRNPL related immunoregulatory (THRIL) lncRNA may be involved in the pathogenesis of immune-related and inflammatory disease through controlling the expression of the tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-α) expression. In this case-control study, we investigate the THRIL expression in blood 25 samples of de novo acute myeloid leukemia (AML) cases (10 females and 15 males, mean age±SD: 35.1±3.2 years) in comparison to 50 healthy age and sex matched controls (21 females and 29 males, mean age±SD: 34.9± 3.1) using real-time quantitative reverse transcription-PCR (qRT-PCR) in order to explore any association between THRIL and AML. Our results revealed that there was no significant difference in the expression level of THRIL lncRNA between AML patients and healthy individuals (p=0.2, 95% CI=-0.129-28.35). In addition, there was no significant association between male subgroup and THRIL expression as well as females (p=0.08, 95% CI=-0.197-19.251, p=0.4, 95% CI=-0.185-12.041, respectively). In comparison between control group and FAB classification subtypes of AML patients, there was not any significant association. In conclusion, our study showed that THRIL cannot be used as an informative biomarker for AML diagnosis, however, our results need to be clarify by evolution of more cases.
1. Döhner H, Weisdorf DJ, Bloomfield CD. Acute myeloid leukemia. N Engl J Med 2015; 373(12):1136-52.
2. Leone G, Pagano L, Ben-Yehuda D, Voso MT. Therapy-related leukemia and myelodysplasia: susceptibility and incidence. Haematologica 2007; 92(10):1389-98.
3. Valk PJ, Verhaak RG, Beijen MA, Erpelinck CA, van Doorn-Khosrovani SBvW, Boer JM, et al. Prognostically useful gene-expression profiles in acute myeloid leukemia. N Engl J Med 2004; 350(16):1617-28.
4. Taheri M, Nemati S, Movafagh A, Saberi M, Mirfakhraie R, Eftekharian MM, Arsang-Jang S, Rezagholizadeh A, Sayad A. TRAIL gene expression analysis in multiple sclerosis patients. Hum Antibodies 2016; 24(1-2):33-8.
5. Sayad A, Hajifathali A, Hamidieh AA, Roshandel E, Taheri M. HOTAIR Long Noncoding RNA is not a Biomarker for Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML) in Iranian Patients. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev 2017; 18(6):1581-4.
6. Sayad A, Hajifathali A, Taheri M. Polymorphisms in lncRNA HOTAIR and Susceptibility to Acute Myeloid Leukemia in Iranian Patients. Journal of Biology and Today's World 2017; 6(2):33-7.
7. Sayad A, Akbari MT, Mehdizadeh M, Taheri M, Hajifathali A. HLA-A*26 and Susceptibility of Iranian Patients with Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma. Iran J Immunol 2014; 11(4):269-274.
8. Khorshidi HR, Taheri M, Noroozi R, Soudyab M, Sayad A, Ghafouri-Fard S. Investigation of the association of HOTAIR single nucleotide polymorphisms and risk of breast cancer in an Iranian population. International Journal of Cancer Management 2017;10(5).
9. Taheri M, Omrani MD, Ghafouri-Fard S. Long non-coding RNA expression in bladder cancer. Biophysical reviews 2017.
10. Taheri M, Pouresmaeili F, Omrani MD, Habibi M, Sarrafzadeh S, Noroozi R, Rakhshan A, Sayad A, Ghafouri-Fard S. Association of ANRIL gene polymorphisms with prostate cancer and benign prostatic hyperplasia in an Iranian population. Biomarkers in medicine 2017; 11(5):413-22.
11 Hu W, Yuan B, Flygare J, Lodish HF. Long noncoding RNA-mediated anti-apoptotic activity in murine erythroid terminal differentiation. Genes Dev 2011; 25(24):2573-8.
12. Geisler S, Coller J. RNA in unexpected places: long non-coding RNA functions in diverse cellular contexts. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 2013; 14(11):699-712.
13. Cai B, Wu Z, Liao K, Zhang S. Long noncoding RNA HOTAIR can serve as a common molecular marker for lymph node metastasis: a meta-analysis. Tumour Biol 2014; 35(9):8445-50.
14. Wajant H. The role of TNF in cancer. Death Receptors and Cognate Ligands in Cancer. Springer 2009; 1-15.
15. Bennett JM, Catovsky D, Daniel MT, Flandrin G, Galton DA, Gralnick HR, et al. Proposed revised criteria for the classification of acute myeloid leukemia: a report of the French-American-British Cooperative Group. Ann Intern Med 1985; 103(4):620-5.
16. Tsimberidou A-M, Giles FJ. TNF-α targeted therapeutic approaches in patients with hematologic malignancies. Expert Rev Anticancer Ther 2002; 2(3):277-86.
17. Petrides PE, Dittmann KH. How do normal and leukemic white blood cells egress from the bone marrow? Blut 1990; 61(1):3-13.
18. Sanchez-Correa B, Bergua JM, Campos C, Gayoso I, Arcos MJ, Bañas H, et al. Cytokine profiles in acute myeloid leukemia patients at diagnosis: survival is inversely correlated with IL-6 and directly correlated with IL-10 levels. Cytokine 2013; 61(3):885-91.
19. Tsimberidou AM, Estey E, Wen S, Pierce S, Kantarjian H, Albitar M, et al. The prognostic significance of cytokine levels in newly diagnosed acute myeloid leukemia and high‐risk myelodysplastic syndromes. Cancer 2008; 113(7):1605-13.
20. Aguayo A, Kantarjian H, Manshouri T, Gidel C, Estey E, Thomas D, et al. Angiogenesis in acute and chronic leukemias and myelodysplastic syndromes. Blood 2000; 96(6):2240-5.
21. Kornienko AE, Guenzl PM, Barlow DP, Pauler FM. Gene regulation by the act of long non-coding RNA transcription. BMC Biol 2013; 11(1):59.
22. Huarte M. The emerging role of lncRNAs in cancer. Nat Med 2015; 21(11):1253-61.
23. Kurokawa R. Long noncoding RNA as a regulator for transcription. Long Non-Coding RNAs. Springer 2011; 29-41.
24. Li Z, Chao T-C, Chang K-Y, Lin N, Patil VS, Shimizu C, et al. The long noncoding RNA THRIL regulates TNFα expression through its interaction with hnRNPL. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2014; 111(3):1002-7.
25. Carpenter S, Aiello D, Atianand MK, Ricci EP, Gandhi P, Hall LL, et al. A long noncoding RNA mediates both activation and repression of immune response genes. science 2013; 341(6147):789-92.
Copyright (c) 2018 Iranian Journal of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.