Associations of Behavioral Disorders with Asthma in Iranian Children
Asthma is a common respiratory disease with huge economic burden leading to activity limitations, morbidity, and mortality. In this study, we aim to investigate the prevalence of Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD), Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) and Conduct Disorder (CD) among children with asthma. This case-control study was performed in a pediatric referral health care center(Children's Medical CenterinTehran University of Medical Sciences) in 2017.With random selection, the 80 children with asthma and 92 controls with age range of 5 to 11 years were enrolled in this study. In addition to the demographic information and family history of allergy, asthma symptoms, and control quality evaluated with a validated Childhood Asthma Control Test (C-ACT). The mode of measurement for ADHD, ODD and CD was based on Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders-IV (DSM-IV) psychiatric scales from clinical interviews conducted by child psychiatrists. Totally, 42.5% and 25% in the case and control groups had ADHD respectively withsignificant difference (p=0.01). Also, 25% and 5.4% in thecase and control groups had ODD respectively with significant difference (p=0.001). But conduct disorder was 10% and 10.9% in case and control groups respectively without significant difference (p=0.8). Children with asthma were associated with exhibiting ADHD and ODD but not CD. Therefore, appropriate evaluation and treatment are needed for asthmatic children with attention-deficit and ODD symptoms. Besides, further research is needed to determine the etiological approach towards ADHD, ODD and asthma.
1. Boulet LP, Boulay ME. Asthma-related comorbidities. Expert Rev Respir Med. 2011;5(3):377-93.
2. Reddel HK, Bateman ED, Becker A, Boulet LP, Cruz AA, Drazen JM, et al. A summary of the new GINA strategy: a roadmap to asthma control. Eur Respir J. 2015;46(3):622-39.
3. Lotvall J, Akdis CA, Bacharier LB, Bjermer L, Casale TB, Custovic A, et al. Asthma endotypes: a new approach to classification of disease entities within the asthma syndrome. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2011;127(2):355-60.
4. Goodwin RD, Robinson M, Sly PD, McKeague IW, Susser ES, Zubrick SR, et al. Severity and persistence of asthma and mental health: a birth cohort study. Psychol Med. 2013;43(6):1313-22.
5. Lin YT, Chen YC, Gau SS, Yeh TH, Fan HY, Hwang YY, et al. Associations between allergic diseases and attention deficit hyperactivity/oppositional defiant disorders in children. Pediatr Res. 2016;80(4):480-5.
6. McCauley E, Katon W, Russo J, Richardson L, Lozano P. Impact of anxiety and depression on functional impairment in adolescents with asthma. Gen Hosp Psychiatry. 2007;29(3):214-22.
7. Morrison KM, Goli A, Van Wagoner J, Brown ES, Khan DA. Depressive Symptoms in Inner-City Children With Asthma. Prim Care Companion J Clin Psychiatry. 2002;4(5):174-7.
8. Richardson LP, Russo JE, Lozano P, McCauley E, Katon W. The effect of comorbid anxiety and depressive disorders on health care utilization and costs among adolescents with asthma. Gen Hosp Psychiatry. 2008;30(5):398-406.
9. ten Brinke A, Sterk PJ, Masclee AA, Spinhoven P, Schmidt JT, Zwinderman AH, et al. Risk factors of frequent exacerbations in difficult-to-treat asthma. Eur Respir J. 2005;26(5):812-8.
10. Association AP, Association AP. DSM-IV-TR: Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders, text revision. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association. 2000;75.
11. Banerji A, Clark S, Afilalo M, Blanda MP, Cydulka RK, Camargo CA, Jr. Prospective multicenter study of acute asthma in younger versus older adults presenting to the emergency department. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2006;54(1):48-55.
12. Schans JV, Cicek R, de Vries TW, Hak E, Hoekstra PJ. Association of atopic diseases and attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder: A systematic review and meta-analyses. Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2017;74(Pt A):139-48.
13. Elia J, Sackett J, Turner T, Schardt M, Tang SC, Kurtz N, et al. Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder genomics: update for clinicians. Curr Psychiatry Rep. 2012;14(5):579-89.
14. Froehlich TE, Anixt JS, Loe IM, Chirdkiatgumchai V, Kuan L, Gilman RC. Update on environmental risk factors for attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. Curr Psychiatry Rep. 2011;13(5):333-44.
15. Schmitt J, Buske-Kirschbaum A, Roessner V. Is atopic disease a risk factor for attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder? A systematic review. Allergy. 2010;65(12):1506-24.
16. Chen MH, Su TP, Chen YS, Hsu JW, Huang KL, Chang WH, et al. Asthma and attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder: a nationwide population-based prospective cohort study. J Child Psychol Psychiatry. 2013;54(11):1208-14.
17. Tsai JD, Chang SN, Mou CH, Sung FC, Lue KH. Association between atopic diseases and attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder in childhood: a population-based case-control study. Ann Epidemiol. 2013;23(4):185-8.
18. Hak E, de Vries TW, Hoekstra PJ, Jick SS. Association of childhood attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder with atopic diseases and skin infections? A matched case-control study using the General Practice Research Database. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2013;111(2):102-6 e2.
19. Mogensen N, Larsson H, Lundholm C, Almqvist C. Association between childhood asthma and ADHD symptoms in adolescence - a prospective population-based twin study. Allergy. 2011;66(9):1224-30.
20. Schmitt J, Chen CM, Apfelbacher C, Romanos M, Lehmann I, Herbarth O, et al. Infant eczema, infant sleeping problems, and mental health at 10 years of age: the prospective birth cohort study LISAplus. Allergy. 2011;66(3):404-11.
21. Holmberg K, Lundholm C, Anckarsater H, Larsson H, Almqvist C. Impact of asthma medication and familial factors on the association between childhood asthma and attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder: a combined twin- and register-based study: Epidemiology of Allergic Disease. Clin Exp Allergy. 2015;45(5):964-73.
22. Saricoban HE, Ozen A, Harmanci K, Razi C, Zahmacioglu O, Cengizlier MR. Common behavioral problems among children with asthma: is there a role of asthma treatment? Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2011;106(3):200-4.
23. Calam R, Gregg L, Goodman R. Psychological adjustment and asthma in children and adolescents: the UK Nationwide Mental Health Survey. Psychosom Med. 2005;67(1):105-10.
24. Hammer-Helmich L, Linneberg A, Obel C, Thomsen SF, Tang Mollehave L, Glumer C. Mental health associations with eczema, asthma and hay fever in children: a cross-sectional survey. BMJ Open. 2016;6(10):e012637.
25. Annesi-Maesano I, Zhou C, Baiz N, Banerjee S, Andre Charpin D, Caillaud D, et al. Externalizing and internalizing behavioural problems related to asthma in school children. Allergy. 2013;68(11):1471-4.