Frequency and Pattern of IgE-mediated Sensitization to Aero and Food Allergens in Ahvaz, Province of Khuzestan in Southwestern Iran
Efficient diagnosis of allergy and proper treatment need identification of the causative allergens eliciting clinical symptoms. The present study was performed to identify the most common aero- and food allergens and determine the pattern of sensitization among people of Ahvaz (southwestern Iran), one of the most polluted cities worldwide. Based on the physical examination and medical records, patients were referred to the Allergy laboratory for “in vitro” IgE determination. Specific and total IgE was determined by the ImmunoCAP system (Thermo Fisher-Phadia, Uppsala, Sweden). A total of 666 consecutive patients (51.1% female) were tested for 202 different allergens. The majority of requests (57%) belonged to food allergens. Sensitization to at least one allergen was found in 47.6% of patients. In a selected group of allergens for which specific IgE had been tested in at least 100 patients, the most common sensitizing aeroallergens were Russian thistle, grass pollen, and willow; while wheat, honey, and shrimp were the most frequent food allergens, respectively. Sensitization profiles based on measurement of specific IgE indicated that Russian thistle, grasses, and wheat were the most prevalent allergens in people with allergic symptoms living in Ahvaz.
1. Panzner P, Vachova M, Vitovcova P, Brodska P, Vlas T. A comprehensive analysis of middle-European molecular sensitization profiles to pollen allergens. Int Arch Allergy Immunol 2014; 164(1):74-82.
2. Pawankar R, Canonica G, Holgate S, Lockey R, Blaiss M. The World Allergy Organization (WAO) White Book on Allergy: Update 2013.
3. Forouzan A, Masoumi K, Haddadzadeh Shoushtari M, Idani E, Tirandaz F, Feli M, et al. An overview of thunderstorm-associated asthma outbreak in southwest of Iran. J Environ Public Health 2014; 2014:504017.
4. Sicherer SH. Epidemiology of food allergy. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2011; 127(3):594-602.
5. Couto TAPdP, Falsarella N, Mattos CdCBd, Mattos LCd. Total IgE plasma levels vary according to gender and age in Brazilian patients with allergic rhinitis. Clinics 2014; 69(11):740-4.
6. Davila I, Valero A, Entrenas L, Valveny N, Herráez L. Relationship between serum total IgE and disease severity in patients with allergic asthma in Spain. J">https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Relationship+between+serum+total+IgE+and+disease+severity+in+patients+with+allergic+asthma+in+Spain.">J Investig Allergol Clin Immunol 2014; 25(2):120-7.
7. Assarehzadegan MA, Sankian M, Jabbari F, Noorbakhsh R, Varasteh A. Allergy to Salsola Kali in a Salsola incanescens-rich area: role of extensive cross allergenicity. Allergol Int 2009; 58(2):261-6.
8. Abbas N, Raheem A, Ghani F. Environmental and Food Allergens Reactivity and its Association with Total IgE, Age and Gender in Karachi, Pakistan. J Allergy Ther 2015; 2015.
9. DunnGalvin A, Hourihane JO, Frewer L, Knibb RC, Oude Elberink JN, Klinge I. Incorporating a gender dimension in food allergy research: a review. Allergy 2006;61(11):1336-43.
10. Sicherer SH, Sampson HA. Food allergy: Epidemiology, pathogenesis, diagnosis, and treatment. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2014; 133(2):291-307.
11. Patel BY, Volcheck GW. Food Allergy: Common Causes, Diagnosis, and Treatment. Mayo Clinic Proceedings; 2015; 90(10):1411-9.
12. Popescu F-D. Cross-reactivity between aeroallergens and food allergens. World J Methodol 2015; 5(2):31-50.
13. Hosseini S, Shoormasti RS, Akramian R, Movahedi M, Gharagozlou M, Foroughi N, et al. Skin Prick Test Reactivity to Common Aero and Food Allergens among Children with Allergy. Iran J Med Sci 2014; 39(1):29-35.
14. Mbatchou Ngahane BH, Noah D, Nganda Motto M, Mapoure Njankouo Y, Njock LR. Sensitization to common aeroallergens in a population of young adults in a sub-Saharan Africa setting: a cross-sectional study. Allergy Asthma Clin Immunol 2016; 12:1.
15. Tsabouri S, Triga M, Makris M, Kalogeromitros D, Church MK, Priftis KN. Fish and shellfish allergy in children: review of a persistent food allergy. Pediatr Allergy Immunol 2012; 23(7):608-15.16. Matsuo H, Yokooji T, Taogoshi T. Common food allergens and their IgE-binding epitopes. Allergol Int 2015; 64(4):332-43.